Fordmods Logo

EL fairmont power steering leaking, where from? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL fairmont power steering leaking, where from?
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

hey guys, as it says, my power steering is leaking, fairly wuickly to, filled yesterday, half full now.
was just wondering, where are the most common leaks sprouting from?
i'd give photo's but it's too dark for my trusty nokia's flash.
and worse cse scenerio, how much should i be looking at for a whole new pump, and is fitting a DIY or..?
much appreciated.

be good or be good at it.

Post subject: Re: EL fairmont power steering leaking, where from?
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It will be the compression fitting at the rear of the pump pressure line.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

thanks mate, shall have a suss there, also another thing for anyone that can help.
in the midst of removing my throttle body earlier, i snapped a grey clip that was connected to the cruise control cable, had a tremendous pain in the a** trying to remove the rest of the clip before i gave up due to rain.
what's this clip called and how am i not able to remove it?
:? :oops:

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
thanks mate, shall have a suss there, also another thing for anyone that can help.
in the midst of removing my throttle body earlier, i snapped a grey clip that was connected to the cruise control cable, had a tremendous pain in the a** trying to remove the rest of the clip before i gave up due to rain.
what's this clip called and how am i not able to remove it?
:? :oops:

Not sure what clip you're talking about.

However regarding your power steering leak issue. It can leak from behind the pump in many places IF the high pressure hose has never been replaced. It can leak at the union join on the hose, the nut attached to the adapter, the adapter attaching to the back of the pump nut, or the pump nut itself. Clean the area around the nuts assembly as well as the underside of the pump. Run the car and run your fingers around the nut (if you have extractors...please be careful or else you will burn your hands) and under the pump. Usually if you are losing half of the fluid in a day, you will see it drip.

Another area it is prone to leak from, is the pressure switch. That's located on the rack near where the intermediate shaft connects to the rack.

Pump can be anywhere between $150 - 350 each (second hand/reconditioned/store).
High pressure hose (new design) can be $80-125 (Bayford Transmission and steering sell them)
Rack anywhere between $200-300 for reconditioned one.
Switch price I am unsure of, but I would hazard a guess at no more than $100.

Can cost you up to $900 for parts alone, can be done on your own if you have the right tools.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

It's most likely leaking at the back of the pump, or at the rack around the pinion housing area.
So that's up to you to suss out, as we can't see this. Degrease the area if you have to, to actually pinpoint it.
The cruise cable attachment has two holes which the retainers click into. Get a couple of instrument screwdrivers, and lift the outer plastic body over them, and it should pull off.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

thanks for the fast replies guys, and Phongus, i remember you not driving your el on the sky high cruise back in november due to power steering issues, ever get round to fixing them?
i finally had the paper to afford a new set of front rotrs and pads, it's heavenly having a car that doesn't jerk it's way up to a set of lights.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
thanks for the fast replies guys, and Phongus, i remember you not driving your el on the sky high cruise back in november due to power steering issues, ever get round to fixing them?
i finally had the paper to afford a new set of front rotrs and pads, it's heavenly having a car that doesn't jerk it's way up to a set of lights.

Yeah I have had power steering issues for a while now. Replaced everything but the pump and switch...and recently the pump seal died which is now patched up with some gasket maker, has lasted for 3 weeks now :D.

Hahaha, I still have those front rotors if you need them.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
teeroy wrote:

Yeah I have had power steering issues for a while now. Replaced everything but the pump and switch...and recently the pump seal died which is now patched up with some gasket maker, has lasted for 3 weeks now :D.

lol your wallet must be a bit thin then aye, it hurts me jut thinking about it as i'm on a miccy d's wage.
trying to change that lately, a more promising income source would be great.
yeah who knows, i may have to collect them of you one day.
the only thing saving me is formods, a gregorys manual and my very knowledgable cus. :lol:

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
phongus wrote:
teeroy wrote:

lol your wallet must be a bit thin then aye, it hurts me jut thinking about it as i'm on a miccy d's wage.
trying to change that lately, a more promising income source would be great.
yeah who knows, i may have to collect them of you one day.
the only thing saving me is formods, a gregorys manual and my very knowledgable cus. :lol:

I was on Maccas pay for 2 years while I was at uni. It's doable, just very tight. Trust me, the car isn't a money pit as much as my race bike...which hasn't seen the track for the last year yet has cost me more than the trouble the car has given me.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

my power steering was leaking to only done it when i turned so for a little bit i was wondering what the hell is happening to the power steering oil as i didnt leave any drips when it was parked once i got it up to a mate with a car lift we could lift it up and could see it leaking out the high pressure hose

got a new one from carsrus on ebay (they seem to be pretty good quality wise and they dont stuff around to) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-EF-EL-Falcon-6cyl-Hi-Pressure-Power-Steering-Hose-/400214091918

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
I was on Maccas pay for 2 years while I was at uni. It's doable, just very tight. Trust me, the car isn't a money pit as much as my race bike...which hasn't seen the track for the last year yet has cost me more than the trouble the car has given me.

yeah i'm 3 and a half years so far, outta school now so trying to get an apprenticeship, waiting on a response for one atm.
you have a race bike? sheesh, thrill seeker or what, guessing it's off the road for an unhealthy reason? i'm actually happy that so far all my problems have been rather cheap fixes. i.e; heater tap, distributor.
then theres my costly meeting with a sign post, oh the joys of my stupidity, plus not long ago having to replace a rear door once again as having a family friend leave his door open whilst i was reversing out of a driveway, both of us at fault, $50 for a gli door, just had to replace the reg, actuator, window, still doesn't shut perfect, guessing it's allignment, but being on my red's i don't have back seat passengers very often anyway, so no rush.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
phongus wrote:

yeah i'm 3 and a half years so far, outta school now so trying to get an apprenticeship, waiting on a response for one atm.
you have a race bike? sheesh, thrill seeker or what, guessing it's off the road for an unhealthy reason? i'm actually happy that so far all my problems have been rather cheap fixes. i.e; heater tap, distributor.
then theres my costly meeting with a sign post, oh the joys of my stupidity, plus not long ago having to replace a rear door once again as having a family friend leave his door open whilst i was reversing out of a driveway, both of us at fault, $50 for a gli door, just had to replace the reg, actuator, window, still doesn't shut perfect, guessing it's allignment, but being on my red's i don't have back seat passengers very often anyway, so no rush.

Yeah back door just needs a re-alignment...shouldn't be too hard. Well hope you find your leaking problem when you get some sunlight and no rain. Hopefully it's just the hose, easiest/cheapest fix of them all.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

My AU was leaking P/S fluid like a sieve - would be nearly empty just driving to work and back. Turned out to be a 20 cent O-ring on the pressure line into the back of the pump. If it's dripping onto your alternator immediately after switching the engine off, I would check that out.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

it's either at the back of the pump of lower but i can see it hasn't been hitting the alternator, i haven't had a chance to get under and look due to work and rain but it slowed down after about the half way mark, got a free day tomorrow just hope the weater holds up.
worse case i'll just head down the mechanics down the road and get them to have a look and tell me.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
it's either at the back of the pump of lower but i can see it hasn't been hitting the alternator, i haven't had a chance to get under and look due to work and rain but it slowed down after about the half way mark, got a free day tomorrow just hope the weater holds up.
worse case i'll just head down the mechanics down the road and get them to have a look and tell me.

If it's stopped dripping/slowed down when half full, check the return line. It might be loose and when full leaks out the return. The return line isn't under pressure, so if it's cracked or has a hole, you can just replace it cheaply.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next