Fordmods Logo

el falcon VPS solenoid 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:29 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 63

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Hi all,

where can I get a (S5) VPS solenoid in Tasmania? cause my gearbox keeps going into 3rd (limp mode) even tho i've replaced the inhabitor switch from Ford, still goes back into limp mode sometimes, ford told me it will cost $649 for a (S5) VPS solenoid and $78 for the other 5 solenoids, very expensive anywhere I can get all 6 in a kit? for cheap?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 971

Joined: 18th Dec 2008

Ride: BA Futura

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Are you sure they didn't quote you $649 for the part and installation?

 

_________________

Image
DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 63

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

lukey1990 wrote:
Are you sure they didn't quote you $649 for the part and installation?


this is wat ford said to me, "A transmission service would cost $280.00.The EL Falcon has 6 solenoids in the auto trans.The on / off solenoids are $78.00 each & the vehicle has 5 & you have a VPS solenoid & this is $649.00.You would need the service department to check the vehicle before we ordered the solenoids."
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 971

Joined: 18th Dec 2008

Ride: BA Futura

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Wow, unless I'm completely misunderstanding you it'll be $670 for the service and 5 solenoids. Not including the VPS..?

 

_________________

Image
DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 52

Posts: 358

Joined: 7th Jun 2007

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

Location: bayswater
VIC, Australia

I got quoted $385 so supply, fit and service a btr with new s5.
Cheaper to put your car on the boat and come to Melbourne.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 52

Posts: 253

Joined: 22nd Mar 2008

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Are you sure it's the S5 causing it to go into limp mode?

A loose fitting wire connection on any of the shift solenoids will also cause it,

If you break off the plastic wire holder for each solenoid & squash each terminal slightly to ensure a good connection - With those plastic clips fitted, you cannot tell if there is a good connection.

Or a faulty external earth also causes code 98 - limp home mode
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 63

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

xpvanman wrote:
Are you sure it's the S5 causing it to go into limp mode?

A loose fitting wire connection on any of the shift solenoids will also cause it,

If you break off the plastic wire holder for each solenoid & squash each terminal slightly to ensure a good connection - With those plastic clips fitted, you cannot tell if there is a good connection.

Or a faulty external earth also causes code 98 - limp home mode


Thanks fella's, worth checking out before spending heaps of $$
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 63

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

nalane wrote:
I got quoted $385 so supply, fit and service a btr with new s5.
Cheaper to put your car on the boat and come to Melbourne.


Hey, for $385 who was that with?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 1634

Joined: 8th Jul 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

Location: brighton
SA, Australia

maybe try the ask papa smurf thread, in november last year he was saying the S5 sells for around $260 and cheaper for aftermarket, he also mentioned to look on ebay...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:09 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 52

Posts: 358

Joined: 7th Jun 2007

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

Location: bayswater
VIC, Australia

dorian_delorean wrote:
nalane wrote:
I got quoted $385 so supply, fit and service a btr with new s5.
Cheaper to put your car on the boat and come to Melbourne.


Hey, for $385 who was that with?

Accurate automatics in The Nook (dont laugh) Bayswater.
And there is a red light in the street. Dont know what came first, the chicken or the egg.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:57 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 63

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Just came from the transmission mechanics, they say I need to change the solenoid (S1) anyone from the Hobart area willing to help me put one in? just requires taking the transmission pan off then fitting the new (S1) then top up with tranny fluid, so the car will need to be off the ground abit to get underthere. Am willing to pay abit for helping out. :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: el falcon VPS solenoid
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:12 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 63

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

dorian_delorean wrote:
Just came from the transmission mechanics, they say I need to change the solenoid (S1) anyone from the Hobart area willing to help me put one in? just requires taking the transmission pan off then fitting the new (S1) then top up with tranny fluid, so the car will need to be off the ground abit to get underthere. Am willing to pay abit for helping out. :D


Anyone from Hobart willing to help out?
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names