Fordmods Logo

EL Ghia steering rack conversion! Help needed! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Ghia steering rack conversion! Help needed!
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL II Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hey guys!

I have a 1998 EL II Fairmont Ghia in need of a new power steering rack! My question is, can I replace the speed sensitive rack with a low series standard rack? As I have never been a fan of the ssps and it's light / vague feel.

I'm pretty sure it will bolt up the same and that the plug to the solinoid will have to be left off, though I am unsure if the fluid lines bolt up in the same spots and the steering shaft spline will match up?

If any one has done this conversion before or knows for sure that exact procedure your help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ghiaguy2 :)

Post subject: Re: EL Ghia steering rack conversion! Help needed!
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

had a guy pick up a EL Ghia speed sensitive rack from me and put it in a low series fairmont without making it speed sensitive. if that helps

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I've put SSPS racks into non SSPS cars before, and as long as its an EL rack, they bolt straight in.

I believe EF racks had a different spline arrangement.

And even though the lines are different at the rack end, the SSPS lines will slide into the right place to be bolted into a non-SSPS rack.

I also found sometime after that you should be alter the assistance the SSPS gives via the solenoid. It would be trial and error, but you could alter the max position of the assistance valve to your liking so its still relatively soft at parking speeds, but gets alot heavier. I never tried it, but believe its possible.

Oh, and a s**t alignment (as in factory settings) will make the steering feel more soft and vague than what the rack can do. I always ran my EL Ghia with EL GT settings with 8.5" wide tired and the steering was as heavy as a non SSPS equiped car. It was was a nice way to compensate for making the steering heavier.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

my SSPS rack died in my wagon, put a standard one in and its fine.
steering is fairly heavy but i prefer it that way.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
I've put SSPS racks into non SSPS cars before, and as long as its an EL rack, they bolt straight in.I believe EF racks had a different spline arrangement.
EL's have a smooth half, 5 a*** spline shaft - have a look at yours and you'll understand. EF's and earlier have a fine spline - EF's will fit straight in, but you need to use an EF intermediate shaft too.
XH ute racks will bolt straight in with the EL spline, but they run 21:1 ratio, as opposed to E series 18:5:1. XH XR's run an EL rack.
I'm not sure about EB/ED racks, the K frame mounting may be differing - someone will need to confirm that.
arm79 wrote:
I also found sometime after that you should be alter the assistance the SSPS gives via the solenoid. It would be trial and error, but you could alter the max position of the assistance valve to your liking so its still relatively soft at parking speeds, but gets alot heavier. I never tried it, but believe its possible.
I take it you mean the adjuster at the end of the solenoid - be a bit fiddly pulling it out numerous times ??

You can actually convert a std rack to SSPS using the pinion, housing, and the L & R pipelines, but be a good idea to overhaul it with a seal kit, which isn't hard if you improvise.

EDIT: If you can wait for late Feb, I have an EF rack and intermediate shaft here if you want to swap.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]