Fordmods Logo

EL Hayman Reese Towbar - Need help! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Hayman Reese Towbar - Need help!
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XW GT & BFIII Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi Guy's,

Probably not the correct forum for this topic, but it was the closest one i could find.

I've just bought a Hayman Reese Hitch type bar (2300 kg) for my EL Ghia off Ebay. I was told it was complete but I can't quite figure out where some of the re-inforcements mount or even if it's the right one for the car. I'm concerned with the area under and in front of the spare wheel well.

If anyone has an EF/EL with one of these bars fitted, I hope you can assist. Even a photo of the fitment under the car would suffice at this stage.

This will be the tow vehicle for my EF track beast, so I want to make sure it's set up right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Tony

Post subject: Re: EL Hayman Reese Towbar - Need help!
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

I have the same tow bar on my car I really don't want to get under there to take photos. It has a plate that sits inside your boot then you will need to drill the holes through the boot floor and put the bolts in from inside the boot through that plate and through the towbarand bolt it up. Then jopin that piece to the big skid pan looking piece that has the hitch on it. If that makes no sence I will try and get some photos on the weekend for you.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks,

That sort of makes sense. I'll have another look at all the bits tonight (hopefully). I think that the sort of "C" shaped piece runs accross the front and bolts up to the front section of the boot, where the gas tank would mount. The other piece is was mystery, I assume thats the bit that goes inside to boot. Does it sit in the bottom of the spare wheel well?

If possible a photo or two would be great!

Cheers, Tony

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

I will need to email them to you they are too big. The flat plate has 4 bolts in it and it sits on the lip in the boot floor, the first step up infront of the spare tyre well that is the only piece in the boot. the c shaped piece bolts underneith the car onto that flat plate through the floor. then the big bash plate looking part with the hitch on it bolts to that c shaped piece. Those bolts do not go through the floor pan they are just under the front edge of the spare tyre well, only the 4 bolts on the flat bar need to be drilled through the floor. then there are 4 bolts i can see behind the back bumper. The bumper will need to be removed to get to them. If you want pics i will need an email address.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that. That will be a great help! I didn't really want to pull it all apart only to find it was wrong or missing bits. I'll PM my email address to you.

Cheers, Tony

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Tony... You should have searched the F/S section, I've had a factory 2300kg bar up for sale for ages..

They fit better and look heaps better.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 AUII XR6 ute

QLD, Australia

easiest way to get the correct answer is to phone hayman-reese themselves and ask if they'll email, fax or post you a copy of the instructions......

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Its easy to do, instructions are not really needed.

But on an EF/EL, the majority of bolt holes are not there and need to be drilled, which can be a bit daunting when lining things up.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
I will need to email them to you they are too big. The flat plate has 4 bolts in it and it sits on the lip in the boot floor, the first step up infront of the spare tyre well that is the only piece in the boot. the c shaped piece bolts underneith the car onto that flat plate through the floor. then the big bash plate looking part with the hitch on it bolts to that c shaped piece. Those bolts do not go through the floor pan they are just under the front edge of the spare tyre well, only the 4 bolts on the flat bar need to be drilled through the floor. then there are 4 bolts i can see behind the back bumper. The bumper will need to be removed to get to them. If you want pics i will need an email address.

Thanks heaps for the pics, they're perfect - exactly what I was after! By the look of it, on the bar I bought, there is a piece missing and one extra bit, hence why the whole thing was a bit confusing.

On the up side, I've managed to source a factory bar which looks heaps better and more straight forward to fit. So, it looks like I'll be busy tomorrow........

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]