Fordmods Logo

EL Noise Issues 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:28 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 230

Joined: 22nd Jul 2007

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

Location: Lang Lang
VIC, Australia

hey guys. i have a few issues with my el. whenever i turn left, a loud, annoying and embarrassing squeak comes from what sounds like the front left hand side wheel. im pretty sure it started around the time i got my handbrake fixed but i cant see why that would have anything to do with it. i also have hub spacers to fit on my au wheels and since then the sound seems to have gotten worse...maybe, it could just be getting worse with time. the noise is also louder as the car warms up. when i got my car serviced last week the mechanic said that the inside of the front left tyre is wearing out. anyone got any ideas on a possible problem or where i should take it to get it fixed? my mechanic at the moment has no idea on how to fix it. thanks :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 973

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: el wagon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Quote:
the inside of the front left tyre is wearing out.


This means either yr toe out is too great, or your camber is too great, is the car lowered? A f/end alignment is required here

Quote:
comes from what sounds like the front left hand side wheel


Because the car is basically a box, sounds can sound as though they come from a totally different source. If the h/brake was recently adjusted, it may simply be the h/brake shoe rubbing on the drum, because it wasn't replaced properly. The h/brake is a pig to adjust correctly

Quote:
my mechanic at the moment has no idea on how to fix it


Might I suggest another mechanic :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 230

Joined: 22nd Jul 2007

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

Location: Lang Lang
VIC, Australia

nah mate the car isnt lowered but iwas thinking of lowerin it a tad, stop it looking like a 4wd. the mechanic did say that the handbrake was a prick of a thing to play with. i will take the car elsewhere for the next service and see if they can fix the problems and do a better job. an allignment will be booked in too. thanks heaps for your input
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 131

Joined: 29th Jun 2008

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

sorry to revive an old thread, but i've got the same problem. replaced both front hubs thinking it was bearings (which were stuffed aswell), but still getting this noise (exactly as described by OP). i'm going crazy and outa ideas? i'm thinking brakes now?!
*edit* its an AU series 2 if that helps.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 32

Joined: 26th Oct 2009

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

adam_k wrote:
sorry to revive an old thread, but i've got the same problem. replaced both front hubs thinking it was bearings (which were stuffed aswell), but still getting this noise (exactly as described by OP). i'm going crazy and outa ideas? i'm thinking brakes now?!

Tyre squeals are very reminiscent of poor wheel alignment. Is the noisy side's wheel getting worn around the outside edge(s)?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 131

Joined: 29th Jun 2008

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

JT- wrote:
adam_k wrote:
sorry to revive an old thread, but i've got the same problem. replaced both front hubs thinking it was bearings (which were stuffed aswell), but still getting this noise (exactly as described by OP). i'm going crazy and outa ideas? i'm thinking brakes now?!

Tyre squeals are very reminiscent of poor wheel alignment. Is the noisy side's wheel getting worn around the outside edge(s)?


its not tyre squeal, it sounds like metal grinding. it only happens at about 5-10km/h and stops when i go faster or slower than that.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 32

Joined: 26th Oct 2009

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

adam_k wrote:
its not tyre squeal, it sounds like metal grinding. it only happens at about 5-10km/h and stops when i go faster or slower than that.


It sounds like you're having a fairly different issue to the original poster then.

Have you checked the pads and discs?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

I'd say its rear drums.

Ok we cant hear it, but a lot of E falcons have a brake noise at around 5kph.

Drive around the block, get it to make a noise, and then do it again but SLIGHTLY lift the hand brake this time.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names