Fordmods Logo

EL Noise Issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:28 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

hey guys. i have a few issues with my el. whenever i turn left, a loud, annoying and embarrassing squeak comes from what sounds like the front left hand side wheel. im pretty sure it started around the time i got my handbrake fixed but i cant see why that would have anything to do with it. i also have hub spacers to fit on my au wheels and since then the sound seems to have gotten worse...maybe, it could just be getting worse with time. the noise is also louder as the car warms up. when i got my car serviced last week the mechanic said that the inside of the front left tyre is wearing out. anyone got any ideas on a possible problem or where i should take it to get it fixed? my mechanic at the moment has no idea on how to fix it. thanks :)

Post subject: Re: EL Noise Issues
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
the inside of the front left tyre is wearing out.

This means either yr toe out is too great, or your camber is too great, is the car lowered? A f/end alignment is required here

Quote:
comes from what sounds like the front left hand side wheel

Because the car is basically a box, sounds can sound as though they come from a totally different source. If the h/brake was recently adjusted, it may simply be the h/brake shoe rubbing on the drum, because it wasn't replaced properly. The h/brake is a pig to adjust correctly

Quote:
my mechanic at the moment has no idea on how to fix it

Might I suggest another mechanic :)

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

nah mate the car isnt lowered but iwas thinking of lowerin it a tad, stop it looking like a 4wd. the mechanic did say that the handbrake was a prick of a thing to play with. i will take the car elsewhere for the next service and see if they can fix the problems and do a better job. an allignment will be booked in too. thanks heaps for your input

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

sorry to revive an old thread, but i've got the same problem. replaced both front hubs thinking it was bearings (which were stuffed aswell), but still getting this noise (exactly as described by OP). i'm going crazy and outa ideas? i'm thinking brakes now?!
*edit* its an AU series 2 if that helps.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

adam_k wrote:
sorry to revive an old thread, but i've got the same problem. replaced both front hubs thinking it was bearings (which were stuffed aswell), but still getting this noise (exactly as described by OP). i'm going crazy and outa ideas? i'm thinking brakes now?!

Tyre squeals are very reminiscent of poor wheel alignment. Is the noisy side's wheel getting worn around the outside edge(s)?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

JT- wrote:
adam_k wrote:

Tyre squeals are very reminiscent of poor wheel alignment. Is the noisy side's wheel getting worn around the outside edge(s)?

its not tyre squeal, it sounds like metal grinding. it only happens at about 5-10km/h and stops when i go faster or slower than that.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

adam_k wrote:
its not tyre squeal, it sounds like metal grinding. it only happens at about 5-10km/h and stops when i go faster or slower than that.

It sounds like you're having a fairly different issue to the original poster then.

Have you checked the pads and discs?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'd say its rear drums.

Ok we cant hear it, but a lot of E falcons have a brake noise at around 5kph.

Drive around the block, get it to make a noise, and then do it again but SLIGHTLY lift the hand brake this time.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]