Post subject: EL XR Brake Upgrade
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey All,
I'm looking into upgrading the brakes on my EL XR, so that it can stop the car better with over 150rwkw. Just wanted to know what everyone finds works well.
Would slotted and drilled rotors be ok, or look at upgrading the whole setup be better?

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Post subject: Re: EL XR Brake Upgrade
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Can't speak for slotted/drilled rotors, but steel braided brake hoses are definitely the way to go. They make a huge difference. My brother in law recommended to reinforce the master cylinder to the strut tower through the use of a bracket, because in extreme cases the added pressure from the hoses can result in damage to the firewall over time.

I'm just using plain rotors and regular pads and the stopping power is awesome. I'm sure with slotted rotors that would improve somewhat

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

im using slotted and dimpled rotors on the front and stock on the back and it pulls up fine.
http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/ca ... 0Rotor.jpg just like that. i cant remember what brand mine are tho

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I'm going to need something like that, I have a feeling if I get the power I want with the new had and cam the factory brakes won't be sufficient anymore lol

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I just did the brakes my EF XR6, which has the same brake setup as your EL, and am very happy with the result. This is what I have:

+1 on the steel braided hoses. Safebrake are excellent value http://safebrake.com.au/

Slotted, dimpled and/or cross-drilled aren't strictly necessary, but the single-piston brakes can use all the help they can get. I have DBA cross-drilled and slotted in front and just slotted in back. Previously had just slotted in front and they were good too. Some advise against cross-drilled due to risk of cracking, but I don't have enough kms on these to know - I got them cheap and so far, so good.

Have QFM HPX pads from GSL Rallysport and they're awesome. http://gslrallysport.com/au/ I had EBC Redstuff/Greenstuff before and was not impressed.

Flush your system with top quality DOT4 or 5.1 brake fluid (NOT DOT5) - get the highest "wet boiling point" you can afford (preferably over 200C). Motul RBF600 synthetic is very good (205C/312C wet/dry B.P.), and sometime sold as a "house brand" at a better price.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
I just did the brakes my EF XR6, which has the same brake setup as your EL, and am very happy with the result. This is what I have:

+1 on the steel braided hoses. Safebrake are excellent value http://safebrake.com.au/

Slotted, dimpled and/or cross-drilled aren't strictly necessary, but the single-piston brakes can use all the help they can get. I have DBA cross-drilled and slotted in front and just slotted in back. Previously had just slotted in front and they were good too. Some advise against cross-drilled due to risk of cracking, but I don't have enough kms on these to know - I got them cheap and so far, so good.

Have QFM HPX pads from GSL Rallysport and they're awesome. http://gslrallysport.com/au/ I had EBC Redstuff/Greenstuff before and was not impressed.

Flush your system with top quality DOT4 or 5.1 brake fluid (NOT DOT5) - get the highest "wet boiling point" you can afford (preferably over 200C). Motul RBF600 synthetic is very good (205C/312C wet/dry B.P.), and sometime sold as a "house brand" at a better price.

They seem like a good setup.

Is it possible to chase up a setup that is similar to the EL GTs?

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Or even actual EL GT brakes?

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Or even actual EL GT brakes?

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

Yes.
UPC
Racebrakes Melbourne
Racebrakes Sydney
Hopperstoppers..

Do a search man

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cheers

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 95 ef falcon

NSW, Australia

hey mate,
i run the upc upgrade its a great improvement and if u jump on ebay there was a guy selling a setup new never used for $750. the pads and disc supplied arent the greatest but do the job. and i found milling the hub to fit the disc better than always moding the disc...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]