Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR6 T5 Problem?
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

I am having a problem with the T5.

I am having trouble getting the bugger in gear sometimes.
Mainly when I am stationary and try to put it in first, it is very difficult to go in most of the time. Same with reverse. 1st to 2nd gear has always been a too...
Also recently, when driving I am finding the gearbox notchy and it is getting a little bit difficult to change gears sometimes.

I changed the fluid to Castrol Transmax-Z not long ago so the fluid isnt the problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

have you checked the clutch cable adjustment recently? may not be letting go properly.
how old is the clutch itself? if the pressure plate is on the way out it will behave like that.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey...Im not too sure how old the clutch plate is, only got the car 12 months ago...

I checked the clutch cable according to the Gregorys...well, the clutch pedal tavel anyway...is that what you mean?
I had a feeling it felt like the clutch wasn't properly letting go?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Adjust the screws in towards the firewall a bit, see if it helps. Thi will raise the pedal a little.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

the cable adjusts with a nut on the firewall, engine bay side, at least it does on my eb 5.0. count the number of turns as you go so you can put it back where it was, but adjust the cable until the t5 slides into 1st with the engine idling. then ensure that the clutch grabs properly before the pedal gets fully released.
if you can't find a compromise position for the cable where the clutch grabs & releases as you throw the pedal, then the clutch pressure plate is probably on the way out.

as far as reverse is concerned, once all is adjusted, try this:
come to a stop. press clutch. put t5 in 1st then immediatley put t5 in reverse. proceed to reverse vehicle. i reckon you will never crunch reverse again.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give it a try tomorrow...I tried quickly today adjusting the nut, but didnt turn it by much...Ill try properly tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, how much to get the pressure plate replaced? Is it a do-able home job or easier left to mechanic?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

sam12h wrote:
as far as reverse is concerned, once all is adjusted, try this:
come to a stop. press clutch. put t5 in 1st then immediatley put t5 in reverse. proceed to reverse vehicle. i reckon you will never crunch reverse again.

It should have a reverse synchro unless the box is from an EA.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Watch for cracking around the clutch cable in the firewall. When I got that welded up and along with a new clutch cable, this fixed exactly the same problem.

I only got around to fixing it when I blew my clutch at the drags.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well I tried it this morning before work. I adjusted the nut, it ndid seem to help a fair bit so I guess you guys have hit the nail on the head.
Only thing is, the biting point is right at the top of the pedal, so I'm guessing the clutch is on its way out...

What am I up for roughly to get it replaced?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Depends what clutch you go and what future mods you have in mind.

Anything more than just minor and I recommend the RPM series clutch.

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

I recommend the extreme clutches from http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/
They are so light, and it hasn't slipped on me yet!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ive tried adjusting the clutch cable, but have been unable to get it much better. I cant bring the pedal out much further or the biting point will be at the VERY end of the travel, and thats no good...

I had a look at the gregorys today, the tranny doesnt look that difficult to remove...but Im guessing the clutch is more of a bugger around...

How difficult to replace are parts inside the T5? I know for sure my 2nd gear synchro is gone....

Doubt I need anything more than a "standard" clutch as I dont intend doing many high performance mods in the near future...

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I thought that my syncro 2nd had gone as well, then I welded up the cracked firewall around the hole for the clutch cable (check it because 90% of T5s have this problem) then replaced the clutch cable. Everything was heaps better, not grinding into gears.

Also, I replaced the clutch a week later cause i'd blown it at the drags 10 days before.

So, check around the clutch cable hole in the firewall for cracks.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
I had a look at the gregorys today, the tranny doesnt look that difficult to remove...but Im guessing the clutch is more of a bugger around...

technically no, it's not dificcult. remove tailshaft, remove shifter, disconnect battery then unbolt starter, unbolt bellhousing from engine.
Now comes the awkward bit. 36kg might not sound like much, but it's an awkward & heavy bugger to do on your own. i don't reccomend it. (my brother damn near broke his wrist once).

IMHO get quotes on having the work done. you may be surprised at the answers you get. they have a team of apprentices standing (not lying) under the car which makes it alot easier. they do so many of them that the removal & re-instalation is no big deal to them. saves you the hassle & potential injury with a possible warranty on the workmanship to boot. just my 2c.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

sam12h wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:

technically no, it's not dificcult. remove tailshaft, remove shifter, disconnect battery then unbolt starter, unbolt bellhousing from engine.
Now comes the awkward bit. 36kg might not sound like much, but it's an awkward & heavy bugger to do on your own. i don't reccomend it. (my brother damn near broke his wrist once).

IMHO get quotes on having the work done. you may be surprised at the answers you get. they have a team of apprentices standing (not lying) under the car which makes it alot easier. they do so many of them that the removal & re-instalation is no big deal to them. saves you the hassle & potential injury with a possible warranty on the workmanship to boot. just my 2c.
i second that without a hoist its a pain in the a*** i know i will never attempt it again . with a hoist proper tools and experience tranny can be dropped in 10-15 minuts.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]