Fordmods Logo

EL XR8 rattling and bumping noises 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL XR8 rattling and bumping noises
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

hey guys my car has been making really loud annoying / embarrasing noises. Whenever I hit bumps there is a loud rattling noise and also a thumping noise from the rear. I have recently had the suspension all upgraded and lowered and the noise became a lot worse. Mainly I think because the bilstein shocks make the bumps harsher so there is more movement in what ever it is that is making the noises. Yesterday I got the exhaust all redone as it was hitting against the new swaybars and basically knocking on everything but the noises from the rear have not changed so I am pretty sure it is not the exhaust. I am thinking that it could be the rear brake callipers as I have heard that they can clang. When I grab on to the callipers and move them back and forth it makes a very similar noise to what happens when I hit bumps. Today while I was getting new tyres we were having a look while it was on the hoist and we noticed that the bolt that goes through the bottom of the left rear shock was half out so the shock was only in there loose as the nut had come off. So that was one problem but we put a temporary bolt in there and the noises still stayed the same.

Do you think that the noises could be coming from the callipers? The noise is a very loud clanging noise that can be easily heard from outside the car. If it is the callipers what do I tell the mechanics to do to fix it?

Any other suggestions that it could be?

Please help before I crash this car into a tree and claim the insurance money! It is really getting to me.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I had a really loud 'clanging' noise coming from the rear end of my car and actually found it to be the exhaust pipe hitting on the top side of the axle housing. I changed the exhaust hangers as they were perished and stretched, this has fixed the problem.

But i also have a rattly squeak coming from the rear of the car every time i hit a sharp bump in the road and i know what you mean, it's bloody annoying, i'm yet to find what the noise is coming from. If you find anything mate, let me know i want to have a 'normal' sounding car haha.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

try takeing the back seat out.get someone to sit in it take it for a run around the block to find which side its comeing from .you"ll soon find it.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I sometimes get the whole squeaking with the rattling thing as well. Could this be callipers? I don't care if there is a couple of knocks or bumps but not loud bloody embarassing clanging!!!

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 158 rwkw

Does it make the noise only on bumps? or does it also make the noise when the car is shifting gears as well as slowing?

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Not sure about 'phatals' situation but mine squeaks only on sharp-ish bumps

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

i too have a annoying squeaking noise in the back somwhere but only when it gets a bit bumpy. ive been under the car a few times pulling and pushing on things to see if i could find it but have had no luck. i have seen a few other ef/els go past me with this same squeak so it must be a comon problem. will be keeping an eye this thread.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It is only on sharp bumps. Problem is now with the new Bilstein / Whiteline / Nolathane suspension every bump is a sharp bump.

If it is a common problem I wonder if ford service departments would know . . . . . . . .

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I had the rear wheels off my car last night so while i was at it i checked the brake calipers and they are quite loose. When i tap them with a rubber mallet they make the same squeaking noise like when i drive over a sharp bump, is there supposed to be some freeplay in the calipers ?Maybe it's time i had them rebuilt?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:24 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phatal wrote:
It is only on sharp bumps. Problem is now with the new Bilstein / Whiteline / Nolathane suspension every bump is a sharp bump.

If it is a common problem I wonder if ford service departments would know . . . . . . . .

Check the lower bolts on the shocks.
They have to be reefed up fairly tight to prevent the shock rattling around and moving.
They should also be tightened at normal ride height.
You'd be surprised at the amount of noise they make when they are even slightly loose.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well it seems like KPM in adelaide have fixed it even thought they only had it for a few hours. When I pick it up on the weekend I will check it out and if it is all good I will post up what they did to fix it. It seems to have had something to do with the rear brakes as well as the loose shock bolts.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Awesome stuff! Can't wait to find out what it was! :D

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

OK the loud clanging and bumping noises coming from the rear have been fixed by KPM. However I still have that little squeak noise but only on huge bumps. This doesn't bother me anyway as all I wanted was to get rid of the bloody Clanging noises it was driving me insane!

Basically KPM (Kings Park Motorsport) said that they pulled the rear calipers and rotors off of the car cleaned them all up and put them back on and put anti squeal stuff on the shims. They also tightened up all my suspension bolts that were loose (lower shock bolts) they can't guarantee that it will stay fixed but at least they know how to stop it now. I have driven the car through some rough mountain passes and all seems ok for now. If you want to know more about what KPM did to fix it give them a call on 08 82999998 and ask what the did to fix the red EL XR8 that they had in there with the clanging noises. Sorry I can't be more specific on what they did to fix it.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thats cool! That basically confirms what the squeaking noise is. Caliper rebuild kits are only about $50-$70 each end and will most likely clear up the squaking all together. Thanks for finding out dude!

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No worries. Where do you get the caliper rebuild kits from? Ford? And is that what they are actually called? I will get KPM to do that next time I have my car there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next