Fordmods Logo

Extra Auto Trans Filter??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Extra Auto Trans Filter???
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:56 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

After just flushing and changing my EF's 4spd as the oil was black i was thinking of fitting some sort of high flow inline filter (Large Fuel filter???) on the return line after the radiater (thers room just in front of balancer) as it would have pump pressure behind it to help it flow and would still allow the pan to have sufficient oil to the trans itself.....Anyone used or seen any type of 'auxillory' trans filter.....It would just help keep the oil clean which is important???

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Sounds like a good idea, keep use informed how you go with it,
I currantly run 2 auto's and do high klm's in them,
so would be interested in fitting one to both my cars.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

i have heard of them but it will not stop the oil from going black!

black oil is a sign of the oil being overheated/not reguralry changed!

best bet is to add a damn big oil cooler and do a tranny service every 50,000kms!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

You'd be better off adding a secondary transmission cooler and changing the oil more reguarly!
The auto's a sealed system, anything the filter pick up is stuff that's breaking/wearning inside the system. For that reason 1 filter should be fine I would have thought.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

My EA has an extra inline filter, Automatic trans shops have them, they are a special auto trans filter.. also good for power steering.. They added the filter with the new trans. i asked about changing it, and they said no point, there wont be anything in it. Basically, same as whats said above, the auto is sealed...

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:

best bet is to add a damn big oil cooler and do a tranny service every 50,000kms!

No it won't stop the oil going black.....which would 'normally' be changed before that ayways.....But it would defineately help to catch and stop 'any' particles cirulating constantly thru the whole system.....Thanks for the info 'DJ_Brown" I'll be getting one asap.....Tho my 'new' EF has done 250k's so it won't exactly reverse any wear thats already done..... but it 'may' prolong any catastrophic internal breakdowns!!! Will let uz knows ....how i goes!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:

No it won't stop the oil going black.....which would 'normally' be changed before that ayways.....But it would defineately help to catch and stop 'any' particles cirulating constantly thru the whole system.....Thanks for the info 'DJ_Brown" I'll be getting one asap.....Tho my 'new' EF has done 250k's so it won't exactly reverse any wear thats already done..... but it 'may' prolong any catastrophic internal breakdowns!!! Will let uz knows ....how i goes!!!

But you relise there's already a filter in there from the factory that does exactly what you've just said you want the extra one to do right>?

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:40 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ye i spose but because the trans relies on 'clean' oil at all times (Wot does'nt!) i'm thinking an extra filter would help....
Even after flushing at the cooler return line the new oil was still slightly dark (8ltrs worth) so it would be great to just remove that and then help 'keep' the oil cleaner Yeah???

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:
Ye i spose but because the trans relies on 'clean' oil at all times (Wot does'nt!) i'm thinking an extra filter would help....
Even after flushing at the cooler return line the new oil was still slightly dark (8ltrs worth) so it would be great to just remove that and then help 'keep' the oil cleaner Yeah???

The filter isn't going to keep teh oil clean. It will only catch bits of what not from ware and disintegration in it. The oil will still get dirty.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:

thats why when you do it properly with a trans flushing machine you use about 20L or more of auto oil.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Flushing machine! I just removered the return line at the trans with a drain pan under it and ran engine for 30 secs then switch off and top up again making sure there was plenty before starting......My own personal 'flushing machine' would be great....But i'm sure that would'nt be cheap... I think ill still fit one of those trans filters if i can get one!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]