Fordmods Logo

Fairlane compact powersteering conversion. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Fairlane compact powersteering conversion.
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford

NSW, Australia

Gday all you Ford geniuses, I need some help or a slap or something. I want to convert a 2 door sports coupe fairlane 1964 to RHD but I want to use later model steering gear. I have to drill holes in the chassis and fit anti crush tubes I know but I want to fit a later model power steering box.
I thought about buying a steering box and drag link and stub axles with discs from an XF falcon and also the steering colomn. XY stuff is so dear I need to go later and probably can still get new bits if I ned them. The problem is the drag link length and who knows what else?

Has anyone done this? I can buy the whole lot off a bloke for 240 bucks but if it wont fit, it could be a sad waste.

I am thinking it should all fit up but the length of the draglink might need to be changed and I know these can be cut, welded and xrayed.

Also, I will be welding in a rhd firewall but have heard that a firewall has to be welded both sides? I will be getting an engineer to pass all the above so its gotta be rite.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

sam

Post subject: Re: Fairlane compact powersteering conversion.
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Why convert it to RHD?
Because of its age you can register it in NSW left hook and a conversion besides costing a bomb will really damage the future resale of it.
Just get the headlights etc correct for use on Australian roads , rego it left hook and enjoy it.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

I'd put the XF suspension and brakes in it but leave the steering setup standard and register it as LHD.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford

NSW, Australia

Yeah Im hearing ya about the left hand drive stuff, I just want it rhd and apart from the steering set up its pretty straight forward using compact fairlane parts.

I know I can drive it here LHD but it seems weird sitting in the passenger seat and driving.

I Realy want to know if the XF steering stuff fits and works, also the horrible steering colomn in the 64 is not colapsable.

I gotta buy the stuff this week so HELP!! Im going to keep the car, dont intend selling it as Ive made that mistake before. I got some cash saved up from some hard graft so Im keeping it!!

Thanks for your comments, its nice to talk to people on the same planet, all I get usually is being asked why I dont buy a new car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]