Fordmods Logo

Few random questions - 2003 BA Fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Few random questions - 2003 BA Fairmont
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

A few questions I have here with some pictures!

Background about the car. Bought it 2 or 3 months ago and its just clicked over 238000kms (highest k's on a BA I know thats not a taxi!) so I'm really just going over everything that needs to be replaced to get it back to running as new as possible! Replaced plugs today (they were old! gap was nearly 2mm), oil/filter, CAI, trans cooler, coolant flush and re-fill, and thats about it. It'll get trans service soon as well.

1. o2 Sensor
Is it possible to tell by looking at the o2 sensor to see if its had it? This is what mine currently looks like and I can't find anything on the service receipts to indicate a replacement.

2. Rear Camber
I know that XR's/FPV's got adjustable rear camber but I've hear from a few people that they're XT/Fairmont/Fairlaine/LTD etc has adjustable camber. From the picture below - do I have adjustable camber? - because that makes or breaks whether it gets lowered!
Bolts facing boot
Bolts facing engine

3. Replacing Diff Oil
Easy one - from this diagram (just have to flip your head to imagine it right) have I got the fill holes and drainplug correctly identified? And after 238000kms my mind says it'd probably be a good thing to replace the oil, but your opinion?

That's all! Thanks!
Jacob

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Post subject: Re: Few random questions - 2003 BA Fairmont
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Slightly off topic but on my BF one of those bolts in the 2nd pic had actually striped it self out and wasnt actually tight so at any time my whole rear suspension arm could have fallen out so i am pretty sure that doesnt adjust the camber. As far as i know its only the XR/FPV as you have stated. Camber kits are pretty cheap anyways, i got a peddars one supplied and installed for $200, i only got it on the front so i just rotate my tyres often to get the even wear (this was because i lowered mine) You can get the castor adjusted to compensate negative camber so that is how my rear is setup and so far on the new tyres they are wearing even (done 10,000k already)

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

1. If the O2 sensor is more than a year / 20,000km old, then its rooted. They loose sensitivity over time. The $60 odd on a swap every year is made up for by less fuel used and a more responsive engine and fun drive. Should be a must swap on every major/yearly service.

Even more so if you have extractors, or have just installed extractors.

2. Those pics are of the toe adjustment pins, which all B-series get. And by the looks of it, your drivers side toe is out.

FPV and XR's have adjustable camber... And some non FPV/XR's have adjustable camber. Ford apparently randomly put camber adjustment in some cars by accident I've heard. Adjustment is done via the upper outer control arm bush. It has an eccentric bolt, with washers marked with lines (like the toe bolts) on that upper outer position. Right behind the disc. If it doesnt have the washers marked with lines under that bolt, it has no camber adjustment.

You can either get that bush type camber adjustment installed, which is fairly cheap and easy, but has very minimal adjustment... Or go for a replacement upper control arm, which has lots of adjustment, but is much more expensive. Requires the cradle to be dropped for installation I think.

3. That is the drain plug, but I dont think its the fill plug. I haven't seen it myself, but manual says "remove lubrication tag, gasket and filler plug (located on the left hand side of the drive unit housing ahead of the axle shaft"... No pic in the manual either, so maybe look for the lube tag its talking about.

Have fun! :D

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

1. Alright well I'll be getting a new o2! I think the previous owners servicing left a little to be desired! I'm trying to get my fuel economy back - a trip to queensland from sydney recently had me averaging 9.0L/100km, my EBII did better than that! Replaced plugs already so now I'll do o2 and coils (they are the AA range which are apparently notorious with failure/poor performance etc).

2. Hmmmm will need to investigate that a little more I think. I'll get back under and hope that Ford made a mistake! Mine is a March/03 so I hope Ford accidently were still doing to that point :P

3. And that also means further investigation! Have to find the filler plug before I try anything!

Cheers arm79!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

1 other question - how many o2 sensors does a BA have? A website states one pre-cat and one post-cat sensor. I thought ford included 2 sensors from BF onwards?

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey mate, you are correct BA only have one BF have 2 - before and after CAT

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Great thanks!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:10 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

fowlerj wrote:
1. Alright well I'll be getting a new o2! I think the previous owners servicing left a little to be desired! I'm trying to get my fuel economy back - a trip to queensland from sydney recently had me averaging 9.0L/100km, my EBII did better than that! Replaced plugs already so now I'll do o2 and coils (they are the AA range which are apparently notorious with failure/poor performance etc).

Thats not too bad a figure. A new oxy sensor will make it a bit bitter, but don't be expecting miracles, maybe upto 1L/100km max. Must remember, your BA is near 200kg heavier stock than your EB2. That weight will play a big factor.

9L/100km is what my s**t averages, but then its a turbo and weighs about 200kg more above yours too.

Goto Ford about the coils first. They were doing genuine coils for about $30 each recently. I'd buy these (and I did) over the ebay coils, even if its a few $$$ more. Worst case, try Bayford Parts Superstore in Campbellfield and get them to post you a set.

fowlerj wrote:
2. Hmmmm will need to investigate that a little more I think. I'll get back under and hope that Ford made a mistake! Mine is a March/03 so I hope Ford accidently were still doing to that point :P

Good luck, but again, don't get your hopes up. It's a very slight chance.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Also, PM private9 on here.

Justin runs a performance parts shop and he can get factory NGK sensors at very good prices.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yeah well looking through the paper work thats in the car I can't find anything showing an o2 sensor change and I highly doubt it would have happened. So after 240000k's I'm sure it will likely benefit!

And yeah don't worry I'm have very low hopes of factory camber kit!

Cheers again, arm79

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]