Fordmods Logo

Fitting EL diff to EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitting EL diff to EF
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys

Thanks to arm79 i now have my new 3:45.1 lsd. Now i need to get it installed but have a few questions?

How hard is it to do?? do u need a hoistfor it or can u do it at home?
also i recently fitted nolathane bushesto my whole car so can i put those bushes on the new diff without f**k then e.g. watts link and control arm bushes??

Cheers

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6T

SA, Australia

Im pretty sure you will need to get EL XR rear control arms??
I had an EL XR 3.45:1 LSD fitted to my EF and there was a terrible grinding noise coming from the rear end.
my suspension guy in S.A couldnt work out what the problem was - they suggested lifting the ride height of my beast...NOT GONNA HAPPEN (its still sitting too high as is :twisted: )
It was arm79 who suggested getting EL XR control arms (as they are a slightly different shape) and it fixed the problem
(my car is sitting on super low king springs - dont know if that made a difference)

good bloke that arm79!!! 8-)

"This is FORD country.... Where on a quiet day you can hear the HOLDENS rusting...."

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

heheh yeah he is a good bloke

Yeah i got the el control arms with the diff. He included everything i need so thats kool but my main concern is can i reuse the bushes that are fitted to my current control arms as they are only a month old and i spent a s**t load on them??

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Now the questions start... :D

You dont need a hoist to swap the diff. It does make it easier, but I've done many just by jacking the a** end of the car up and putting the body on stands. If you want it really high, you can put the front end on ramps and put stands under the back rails.

The whole thing is bolted in. Its just a matter of removing all the bolts, the diff whole diff will literally fall out, jacking the new one back up and putting all the bolts back... 18 and 19mm spanners and sockets are needed. As well as a 3/4" spanner.

I didn't know you swapped all your bushes over recently, but that shouldnt cause a problem. You can use the EF arms if you want to keep your existing bushes. On the top A bracket, there are 3 holes. The top most one is the same as EF, the middle one is for the EL arms I gave you and the bottom most one is for XR arms. So if you use your EF arms on the top hole, you wont have a problem. But I do suggest you get some nyloc nuts or spring washers to secure the nuts, as you wont be able to use the captive nuts on the diff. The lower arms are the same, EF to EL.

If you want to take full advantage of the better handling EL rear end, you will really need to put the EL upper arms in. I have a feeling that the bushes are the same from EF to EL. In which case you might be able to get your nolathane ones pushed out of th EF arms and into the EL arms. I'm trying to get hold of a mate who can confirm or deny this.

I believe the watts link bushes are the same. The nolathane arm bushes are a 2 piece. If you knock the inner pin out the bush will separate and fall out. To get the rubber bush out of the EL arm, hit the bush with a hammer, they slide out pretty easily. The centre pivot is the same EF to EL, so just swap them over and attach the newly bushed EL arms. Once again, just waiting for my mate to confirm or deny this for me.

Swap the swaybar D bushes and link bushes onto the EL swaybar.

Leave the EL handbrake cable on the diff and attach it to the other end of your handbrake cable.

Adz, if I remember correctly, yours was a different problem. Because you were running superlows with the non-superlow friendly EL arms, the arm was hitting the diff. If you had kept the EF upper arms, you would have had whatever problems you encountered with your old diff before the swap. But you are right in that if you want the absolute best handing in terms of using the EL diff, the EL XR control arms are the way to go.

Anything else, let me know. :D

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Man this guy is a legend!!!

Thanks arm79 that makes me a very happy man!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Blazing EF wrote:

Ill second that - your certainly a helpful bloke, and your memory is better than mine, you just quoted exactly what was the problem with my car... Keep up the good work mate :)

"This is FORD country.... Where on a quiet day you can hear the HOLDENS rusting...."

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

XR~ADZ wrote:
Blazing EF wrote:

Ill second that - your certainly a helpful bloke, and your memory is better than mine, you just quoted exactly what was the problem with my car... Keep up the good work mate :)

Funny that... Cant remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but can easily quote to you something I typed nearly 3 years ago... Must be something wrong with me. :?

I think the other Melbourne members would agree.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
XR~ADZ wrote:
Blazing EF wrote:

Funny that... Cant remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but can easily quote to you something I typed nearly 3 years ago... Must be something wrong with me. :?

I think the other Melbourne members would agree.

Na, your just a car nut buddy :D

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

No - there is something wrong with him. The man grows car parts in his backyard.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

i agree with vic, there is somethin wrong with u adrian, but no hard feelings, its why we love u ;)

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

could i put EL XR control arms on my EF to make it handle better because that was the reason for the change, the a** end of the EF was very taily so they changed it in series 2 EF and into el

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
No - there is something wrong with him. The man grows car parts in his backyard.

Yeah everything was in great nick especially the diff it looks new!!

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:

cooki_monsta wrote:
i agree with vic, there is somethin wrong with u adrian, but no hard feelings, its why we love u :wink:

And here I thought none of the Melb members would see that to agree with me... :? But its nice to know I'm loved.

sickd wrote:
could i put EL XR control arms on my EF to make it handle better because that was the reason for the change, the a** end of the EF was very taily so they changed it in series 2 EF and into el

Nope the EL arms are a alot longer and a complete different shape than what an EF diff can accept. If you tired to bolt them into the same holes, it would throw your diff angle out hugely and the a** end would vibrate like a 3 million k old taxi. If you really wanted to, you could drill the extra hole in the upper bracket in the same spot if you can find the measurements, then you can get the EL arms and turn your car into Mr. Handling.

Blazing EF wrote:
Yeah everything was in great nick especially the diff it looks new!!

I'm glad your happy with everything... I aims to please. :D

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

cool thanks for that .

pedders make an upgrade for the ef to get rid of the touchy feel to the a** end of the car i just thought el stuff might fit thanks for info

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

sickd wrote:
cool thanks for that .

pedders make an upgrade for the ef to get rid of the touchy feel to the a** end of the car i just thought el stuff might fit thanks for info

It could be easy easy as fitting EF XR6 arms, rather than spening a s**t of $$$ at pedders. They are somewhat shorter than the standard arms, but mount to the body in a different fashion.

Now, I have never seen under the a** end of an EF XR6, but I am nearly 100% they used standard everything else (sway bars, watts link, etc), but of course different springs and shocks. And if the only difference was these arms, shocks and springs, and they set the handling benchmark of the time, it shouldnt be that hard to fix the problem.

I read an article somewhere where the head of Tickford said at that stage that the EF XR was pretty much the best handling car they had developed to that time. And when they released the EL, all they did was focus on getting the cars potential laptime down by a few 1/10th of a second, as the rear end was that far developed, there wasnt much more they could get out of an EL that they already hadn't in the EF.

If your interested, I tihnk I have a set of EF XR arms in the collection at home too. :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]