Fordmods Logo

Flywheel vibration 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Flywheel vibration
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ELXR8

NSW, Australia

Ever since I converted my ELXR8 to manual Ive had a vibration and have put it down to the flywheel as when I sit in neutral and bring the revs up slowly the shaking starts.
Has any 1 had a Flywheel out of balance ?????
The flywheel was second hand so I had it machined
Any info or help would be great
Dave.

Tickford A True Legend
Where it all began

Post subject: Re: Flywheel vibration
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

K1W1 Dave wrote:
Ever since I converted my ELXR8 to manual Ive had a vibration and have put it down to the flywheel as when I sit in neutral and bring the revs up slowly the shaking starts.
Has any 1 had a Flywheel out of balance ?????
The flywheel was second hand so I had it machined
Any info or help would be great
Dave.

Dave, when you did the swap did you pull everything out of one car, or bits from here, bits from there? I take it the engine is a Windsor? What I'm getting at is, does the flywheel you bought actually match the engine? I'm wondering if maybe you have a cleveland flywheel, or one whose external imbalance does not match your engine - even in windsors, I'm fairly sure that there are different external imbalances - as far as I'm aware, there are zero imbalance, 28 oz. imbalance and 50 oz. imbalance which match the imbalance of the crank within the matching engine....I might have this wrong but worth checking out...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:13 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I have used my Engine,Drive shaft & Cross member I bought a second hand T5 with Bell housing clutch fork & cable.Had the gear box rebuilt with all new bearings.
Bought a second hand flywheel from Castlemaine rod shop They had sent me 3 flywheels until we got the right 1 as they had sent me 1 to fit XD & 1 to fit Cleavland
Was told EA through to AU is the same Flywheel.
I have seen alot of people have done a manual conversion has any 1 had similar problems.
Dave.

Tickford A True Legend
Where it all began

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

K1W1 Dave wrote:
I have used my Engine,Drive shaft & Cross member I bought a second hand T5 with Bell housing clutch fork & cable.Had the gear box rebuilt with all new bearings.
Bought a second hand flywheel from Castlemaine rod shop They had sent me 3 flywheels until we got the right 1 as they had sent me 1 to fit XD & 1 to fit Cleavland
Was told EA through to AU is the same Flywheel.
I have seen alot of people have done a manual conversion has any 1 had similar problems.
Dave.

The V8 runs a 50oz imbalance. It sounds like you have a neutral balance flywheel.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Will it say on the flywheel that it has 50oz
No 1 in Newcastle can balance a flywheel had a Engine re builder ring some people yesterday & can get it done in Sydney for $250 but probably could get a new 1 for that so figuring out my options
Dave

Tickford A True Legend
Where it all began

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

K1W1 Dave wrote:
Will it say on the flywheel that it has 50oz
No 1 in Newcastle can balance a flywheel had a Engine re builder ring some people yesterday & can get it done in Sydney for $250 but probably could get a new 1 for that so figuring out my options
Dave

Not 100% sure that there is an actual marking on it but you can see the weight cast into the flywheel - though its on the block side so you may need to pull the flywheel off or you might be able to see it from underneath with the stone guard off...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

It does have a weight cast.As I was told when I done the conversion that it has to have 1 and the harmonic balancer has a counter weight so I have seen the casting.
Just reading tearlejc post so ill have to find out weather I have a 28oz or 50oz flywheel and what my engine should be running.

Tickford A True Legend
Where it all began

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]