Fordmods Logo

Ford 9" Qs - Decided to strengthen the standard diff... 

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Ford 9" Qs
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensill...

NSW, Australia

I was going down the same path to get a nine inch fitted after i snaped a 28spline axle in my EF.... After a bit of searching for decent parts, a good friend put me in the direction of having custom axles made, (to save weight, cost and retain the standard housing)... I went for 31 spline billets which i payd $900 for... Also needing the 31spline spool to suit which cost $200 or so... The hemisphere which houses the minispool needed to have some slight machining to accomadate the custom axles because they dont thin out at the splines like the standard ones do... I sourced most of my gear from G&j diffs melbourne... Ive had this setup now for nearly a year.. It gets heavily abused and i havent broke an axle or had any dramas with it yet...(touch wood).... In the end it probley cost over $2500 for billet axles, 31spline minispool, brandnew 3.91:1 gear set, bearings, machining, new shims and a few other bits n peices

XR6, 3''CAI, sick'o BBM, no AC, 2.5''exhaust, special cat, PWR radiator&expansion-tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM converter, shiftkit, 4 pin 3.91:1, 31spline billets, minispool, Nolathane, RDA golds, My interior, genuine GT's.. (gallery) SpeedFlow

Last edited by wholagan on Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

billets

Attachments:
File comment: axels
Axel side..-small.jpg
Axel side..-small.jpg [ 31.32 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]

XR6, 3''CAI, sick'o BBM, no AC, 2.5''exhaust, special cat, PWR radiator&expansion-tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM converter, shiftkit, 4 pin 3.91:1, 31spline billets, minispool, Nolathane, RDA golds, My interior, genuine GT's.. (gallery) SpeedFlow

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That sounds like a good diff combo for under $3000.00 and its all fresh with knew gear

Is it still tight like the day u installed it???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Its developed a tiny bit of backlash with all the abuse, but still drives and sounds
the way it did when i got it nearly a year ago.. When you abuse your diff or spend alot of
cash on it, i think its good practice to have your diff reset with new bearings and spaces every
2 years.. i think its worth it.

Expensive cars are expensive to look after. lol

Last edited by wholagan on Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think my EF XR8 diff costed $1500.00 for a full rebuild with 3.73 gears so for the extra $1500.00 u have a heaps better diff

You have any issues with ABS???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Good stuff mate. I'll be looking into that. How do you find the spool for day - day use? Does it attract much attention at the servo/shops, or is it barely noticable?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you can avoid it, dont get a spool. I have one and it is annoying. I have driven both auto and manual spooled EF/EL's and they are a pain in the a**. You turning circle goes to s**t, they make heaps of noise and scrub tyres something feirce. When i used to work in the city, to access our basment required several 90 deg turns, and the car required throttle to make these turns, or it would come to a complete stop.
My 2 cents
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:08 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The car isent my daily driver.. If it was, i wouldnt go a spool, some sort of locking diff would be the go, but they are expensive :( .... Im not a fan of clutch type LSDs, they wear out to quickly for my type of driving... Yes the diff dose draw a little bit of attention, especialy in reverse while turning.. (most people just look at you like theres somthing wrong with you car) But if you have full tread on your tyres (which dosent last long) its not as noticable... As for U turns, i just stab the throttle, turn the wheel and she spins round... not that i recomend doing that on the street.. lol

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for that guys, just the info I was looking for. As this car gets used a lot, it looks like I'll be keeping away from the spool.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:52 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

no dramas mate... Let us know how you go with your diff build... I havent heard of many borgwarners running a tru-track center

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Would it cost about the same to do an AU diff as well???

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah mate cant see prices been any different just because its an AU diff... Only difference is the wheel offset..

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

The Axles are 30mm longer aswell.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh maybe just cost a little more

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The centre is the same in the EL and AU apparently... was just talking to Harrop today and spoke to them about modifying the centre from 28 spline to 31 spline. I want to do this and get a set of 31 spline billet axles as well to make this a pretty stout borgy. I think this will handle anything I can throw at it.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next