Fordmods Logo

Ford AU Series II 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford AU Series II
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Does anyone know what this problem could be.

For the last 2 days I start the engine as normal and start to drive (It has Auto Transmission). Engine is cold and I just drive away as per normal, last 4 months no problem.

However last 2 days as I go to accelorate, my gearbox is bit jerky, drove back home, switch engine off, read techical book, could not find any info...went to start car again, gears worked as normal throughout the day,

Very next day, same thing.

If anyone can give me a clue as to what it could be so I can try to fix it. I'm going on a 5 hour drive for some fishing soon and don't want any suprises.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Ford AU Series II
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

By "jerky", do you mean slips then bangs into gear?

The BTR autos are sensitive to low fluid levels. Even 500mls down can result in slipping when cold, but will go away when warmed up. Happened to me twice - both times after having the radiator out. The small amount of trans fluid I lost from the trans cooler and hoses was enough to cause it to slip.

With no dipstick, you have to check the fluid level through the threaded plug on the side. The fluid should be right up to the bottom of the fill hole. If you are unsure, top it up (with the car level) until it just stars to run out the hole. Remember that the BTRs use a unique fluid, but you can get it from any Repco, etc.

Then find out why it was losing fluid in the first place. The trans fluid cooler and its hoses are likely suspects.

Hope this helps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for your comments and problem solving.

Nah she does not go bang into gear, it just does not seem to pick up and go into higher speed so I just drive in 20 to 30kph limit and then give it higher acceleration ,still did not pick up.

Have not checked transmission level yet but will do so.

The odd thing is that during the last few days, especially going up to Hervey Bay and back, never had a problem.

I now notice an oil leak whoch tends to be coming from the rear of the engine. It tends to travel down onto the sump plug and drips. not massive yet but enough to tell me there is a leakage.

I hope its not the rear crank.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Could be the S5 solenoid? There are 4 S2 type solenoids and one S5, they do have troubles with these.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
Could be the S5 solenoid? There are 4 S2 type solenoids and one S5, they do have troubles with these.

G'day Papa Smurf,

Thanks, Where do I find this S5 solenoid? I normally associate solenoids with Starter
Motors, hmmm, might get a spare Starter Motor also whilst I think of it (just in case ine packs it in).

At least I can put the spare on and get the dodgey one rebuilt (less down time).

Cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
G'day Papa Smurf,
Thanks, Where do I find this S5 solenoid? I normally associate solenoids with Starter
Motors, hmmm, might get a spare Starter Motor also whilst I think of it (just in case ine packs it in).
At least I can put the spare on and get the dodgey one rebuilt (less down time).
Cheers

Number 43 in the pic is the S5 solenoid, the others are shown there as well. You SHOULD be able to get the solenoid out without pulling the valve body out.
Attachment:
Valve Body.JPG

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok, thanks for that

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]