Fordmods Logo

Ford EF Mont Steering help. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford EF Mont Steering help.
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Hi all have a 94 ef mont here with the steering not centred right, like I will be driving straight however the steering will be at 1pm mark on a clock not at 12 to be straight, just wondering if this is a easy fix?

thanks

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Post subject: Re: Ford EF Mont Steering help.
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

usually wheel alighnment or wheels where not straight when sterring wheel was bolted back on

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

A wheel alignment should fix it I reckon.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not sure about you, but on a dial clock there is no AM/PM.

Sounds like you need a wheel alignment, if that doesn't fix it, might want to check the steering wheel out. Not sure if you can adjust it using intermediate shaft where the splines are...

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Make sure the car drives reasonably stable straight ahead and front wheels are not abnormally worn, if it's okay then alignment itself is probably okay.
revcore wrote:
Depends how good the aligner is - some are lazy. Having said that though you can only really see where straight ahead is by driving the car - even when the steering wheel's been set at alignment.
Check the intermediate shaft uni's for play.
phongus wrote:
Not sure if you can adjust it using intermediate shaft where the splines are...
Nope, upper and lower are keyed.
You can then adjust the outer tie rods to correct it - right side will have to toe out more, left side will need to toe in more - adjust each side equally, mark and keep track of your adjustments, in case it goes wrong. Both sides are RH thread.
You want to maintain the toe in set at alignment.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Not sure about you, but on a dial clock there is no AM/PM.

Sounds like you need a wheel alignment, if that doesn't fix it, might want to check the steering wheel out. Not sure if you can adjust it using intermediate shaft where the splines are...

lol true but I'm so tired today I'm sure to do that,

was looking at the steering collum thing that just is outside the firewall and was wondering if I could lossen the nut there and turn the steering wheel slightly to make it straight, though thinking not that easy.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

A wheel alignment worthy of the name will fix that - and probably a good idea to do one anyway.

If you want a zero cost fix and are handy with tools, you can fix it yourself. If the steering wheel is at 1 o'clock driving straight ahead, then the wheels will be pointing slightly left with the steering wheel centred.
- Undo your tie rod ends from from the spindles (just inside the back of the tyre).
- Loosen the locknuts on the steering rack ends of the tie rod ends.
- Turn the passenger side tie rod end one turn out (anti-clockwise) and the driver's side one turn in (clockwise).
- Tighten the lock nuts and do the tie rod ends back up to the spindles - tight - and use new cotter/split pins.
- Take it for a spin.
If it's still not centered, you may need to repeat the process and give the rod ends another turn each - but they must always be turned one in, one out or you mess up your alignment badly and scrub your tyres.

A word of caution: your ARE working on your steering. If you screw it up, you can die. It's not complicated or delicate, but you MUST do it right first time.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah think they are scrubbing now, the left side of the tyres on both front are loosing thread just there, had to chuck my spare on because of the original left wheel showing the stuff underneath it etc, the previous seller has said that a AU Steering wheel was installed so thats why i think the steering is off.

wanna do it myself has i have limited funds currently, still gotta get the other stuff in my sig below sorted out soon too.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Make sure the car drives reasonably stable straight ahead and front wheels are not abnormally worn, if it's okay then alignment itself is probably okay.
revcore wrote:
Depends how good the aligner is - some are lazy. Having said that though you can only really see where straight ahead is by driving the car - even when the steering wheel's been set at alignment.
Check the intermediate shaft uni's for play.
phongus wrote:
Not sure if you can adjust it using intermediate shaft where the splines are...
Nope, upper and lower are keyed.
You can then adjust the outer tie rods to correct it - right side will have to toe out more, left side will need to toe in more - adjust each side equally, mark and keep track of your adjustments, in case it goes wrong. Both sides are RH thread.
You want to maintain the toe in set at alignment.

Thank you for your correction. Wasn't 100% sure if both splines were keyed/marked. Was thinking, next best thing, tie rod ends.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]