Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Gearbox seriously worn.
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Went to the dyno day (cheers Fraser) yesterday and my EL V8 Ghia pulled a massive 98.4rwkw. Nothing wrong with the engine but the gearbox as I suspected is very worn.

I need it rebuilt with a new torque converter.
What I want to know is what do they do on a rebuild of an auto gearbox and what can I ask to be done to make it tougher?
Also will have to get a new torque converter what can I ask to be done if anything (NOT a high stall)? Will have to be lock up.

The other option is converting it to manual but I certainly dont have the skills and most workshops I talk to arent interested in doing it.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

hmm tough one.

mine auto died too and minimum rebuild for the band was 1600

depending on clutch conditions a max of 2000 abouts and they will replace everything if yours is f**k.

but i got a manny conversion for 1600 i think :S cant fully remember..

came with a 3 month warranty,, and the 1st box was s**t,, took another 4 months to find another slightly less s**t box, which ive got now..

dont get me wrong, manual f**k kicks a**, and id never want my auto back, but it aint cheap and theres lotsa f**k around if it is..

do it yourself is the best bet, seriously, you know its done properly, plenty of tech docos about it and lots of ppl on here to ask,

find ya self a manny box in quokka, may take a while, try it , buy it, get flywheel, machine it ($40), get performance clutch, ($300) a few bearings n s**t that just pop into place. jack car, drop shaft, takebox out swap flywheel, align clutch , pop up manny, do up bolts, put in (manual) tailshaft, mod computer to sort the reverse light (also in doco) or source a manny puter (good luck i rekon i got the last one) and youl be fkn laughing!!! done. get a nice shiny knob to top it off.

ohh yeah chuck redline comp oil init. and DEFINEITLY do the clutch cable ($60) hmm ohh yeah almost forgot,, youl lhave to take your dash out and put the new pedal box in with the other pressy thing that keeps ya left leg in shape..

good luck not f**k that up too much..

happy clutch dropping.!

94 ED Futura, 5spd, RPM clutch,3.27 LSD, PH4480 pacemakers, 2.5'' Supercat, STG 2 Wade1004-112 advanced16degrees, XH intake K&N panel,pedders superlows, Expursuit puter. clearindicators, volvoTT thermofan
15.3@146kph
Alpine deck,splits,rears, clarion amp P1Crossfire subboofa, tint

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Where did you get yours done? I'm not up to the task. I dont have the time either.

FTG Salvage has a V8 manual conversion kit for $2500 I assume it has all the parts I just need someone to do it.

So where did you get yours done that comes with a warranty?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]