Fordmods Logo

gearbox swap 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: gearbox swap
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ED 6 cylinder.

Just curious, got a guy offering me everything i need to do a manual conversion except clutch for $200 cash and he gets my auto too. Is that a rip considering my auto is in goodish condition and i don't really know the state of the manual, though its been claimed to be in good condition?

I've never had to actually pay for a gearbox and parts before so i have no idea.

Thanks fella

And I Kept Thinking... "How Can I Tell Her She Is F**king Hot Without Ruining The Conversation With My Pervertedness?"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EBII

VIC, Australia

Nah thats pretty good. Thats the risk you run though. If the manual gets put in and turns out to be stuffed, all you can really do is try to get him to compensate you.
There's no real way to know if a T5 is in good condition or not without taking it apart or test driving it. Plus, whether it works well or not will depend a lot on the clutch that you choose

Brand New Distributor: $50 + other stuffs
forums/viewtopic.php?t=73696&highlight=ebii
... "And the mountains shall drop sweet wine and the hills shall melt"...

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Oh righto, so im probably better off buying the clutch i want anyway. He lives across the road and i have kinda known him for years so i don't think he is trying to screw me over or anything. Any recommendations on clutches and how much does it cost? Bout $120 or so from repco or something?

And I Kept Thinking... "How Can I Tell Her She Is F**king Hot Without Ruining The Conversation With My Pervertedness?"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

No man ecu included. Do i need it? I thought i read somewhere that sometimes they run anyway?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

just 4 peice of mind you dont need the ecu. ive just finshed puting a manual gearbox in my ef falcon and there is no change in the way the cars drives

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

$200 for all the bits is rather good tbh, from mem thats about what my flywheel alone cost, but its the risk you take with unknown gear, but for $200 its worth a punt, just get an xr6 clutch and flush the oil for some good oil and youll be fine.

theres a guide somewhere in the tech docs about the resistor trick to get the auto computer tricked, mine has ran with that trick for almost 2 years now, worked fine.

p.s. is the box from an ed+ or is it older?

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

OH ok cool. I dont know what its from, is there any way to tell? Some serial numbers maybe?

Also, the break light push button doesnt reach the brake pedal on the manual pedal box, but the switch as far as i can see. Anyone had this issue?

ALso i need to get a clutch and pressure plate bolts. Ill just get the bolts from ford as i cant be bothered running around town for them.

But should i just get a clutch from ford they quoted me something like $440 (no b***job included) wtf? I had to get the cable from repco, it was about $70.

I was told by the guy it was only about 150 for a new clutch?

Im so confused. Its meant to be going in tomorrow but he isn't answering his phone to organise the time, so yeah, great.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]