Fordmods Logo

Gearbox troubleshooting? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Gearbox troubleshooting?
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

i bought a gearbox a while back of a freind and it was a reco of about 20,000k. i installed it with my new motor before christmas. i put a new gasket and filter in it and it has been running really well. has a slightly bumped up stall which is also a great thing. recently though it has developed a problem. now and then when slowing down it will automatically shift back, but do so quite hard and clunk through the body. i dont treat this gearbox badly at all except for the odd foot on the floor off the lights but thats about it. it also drops into reverse from neutral a bit firmer than id like, dosnt do so when going from N to drive, only reverse. i slowed the idle down, almost too slow just to test and it didnt make alot of difference. im no expert on gearboxes and was hoping for someone with experiance in these boxes to give us a hand as i want to catch any bugs before they get serious

Cheers

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Are we talking about a 3 speed transmission if so it sounds like you have the cable adjusted up to high.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

yes it is. a BW40. i had actually considered the cable and thought about disconnecting it just for a trial run.

any idea what would be causing the hard drop into reverse from neutral, when it dosnt do it to D?

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

In reverse the transmission has a boost mechanism to increase the holding power of the band. Definitely don't disconnect the cable as this controls pressure in the box, if it is left disconnected the transmission will slip and upshift to early.

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:06 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ok a wile back i had the same problem in my EB when you slow down to stop it would clunk hard into 1st gear, in the end they replaces the tps and the computer for my 4 speed auto.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44542

now it drives like a dream

BANNED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]