Fordmods Logo

Going though tie rods ??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Going though tie rods ???
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
Cheap ball joints will not last long....

Cheap on ebay doesn't always mean cheap brands,, sometimes it just means much lower markups and sometimes self importers....

I recently spent 150 dollars on a timing belt kit for my wifes hilux surf... everyone else quoted more than double that amount. (it has belt, main and cam seals, idler and tensioner as well as a water pump)

Anyway, when the stuff arrived it was all name brand... for example the belt was a Gates, the water pump was a powermax (OEM manufacturer for Federal-Mogul, Sealed Power, Speed-Pro and TRW and sold as powermax by autobarn....) all the stuff was good quality stuff.... I was stoked that I got it so cheap.

I worked in the auto industry.. I know what kind of markups some places work from... It's worth seeing what else is out there.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Are you getting the correct camber settings when the wheel alignment is done?
Im pretty sure you cant get full adjustment on superlows without camber kits being fitted because the factory units dont have long enough studs to add more shims.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The wheel alignment guys were the ones that told me to get a camber kit... they said it was fairly close but need a kit...

I have an adjustable kit that will go in the same time I do the ball joints now...

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

What they said doesnt ring true dude, you either need one or you dont, they could either get the camber adjustment correct with the stock setup and you dont need camber kits or the camber is wrong(they are the 2 scenarios).
Think about it, how can you almost need one.
Maybe they meant it might be ok until you get kits fitted.
Not trying to be difficult but what they said isnt correct.
I have researched this too because i had the same issues
Good luck dude

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

what they meant was that they got it as close as they could, but it wouldn't be perfect till the kit was in...

I have one here now anyway and I've just bought a full set of ball joints, so will do the whole thing in one hit I think...

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The ball joints just arrived, the look pretty good for cheapies.... KOK international which are apparently one of the OEM manufacturer for Honda Nissan Kawasaki and Yamaha...

Now I need to take them and get them pressed in.. hopefully not to pricy...

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
The ball joints just arrived, the look pretty good for cheapies.... KOK international which are apparently one of the OEM manufacturer for Honda Nissan Kawasaki and Yamaha...

Now I need to take them and get them pressed in.. hopefully not to pricy...

Pedders usually charge me between $20 to $40 per stub axel, depending on what car it's out of & how hard it is, which is well worth paying for, and not messing around with it, as they are a pita to DIY, yes i have a press. I do all my other bushes myself.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Cool... I'm in no hurry as the old ones are in pretty good nic with no slop anyway as it turns out..... but I will probably take my spare stubs in and have the joints swapped in and then just fit the rest myeslf. Let someone else so the hard bit...

I've got the ball joints, some K-mac adjustable camber kit and a tie rod to swap before the next wheel alignment.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Cool... I'm in no hurry as the old ones are in pretty good nic with no slop anyway as it turns out..... but I will probably take my spare stubs in and have the joints swapped in and then just fit the rest myeslf. Let someone else so the hard bit...

I've got the ball joints, some K-mac adjustable camber kit and a tie rod to swap before the next wheel alignment.

Cool. I need to do my steering rack, it's rumbling & has a little bit of slop in it, it's not too bad atm, but it does need to be done soon enough. There's always something to do on the EB.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I found the slop in my steering at it was the steering rack to... only it wasn't inside.. it was the rack mounting points having a tiny bit of slop in them.. drove me nuts for months... now that it is fixed, it feels like a totally different car..... I'm still marvelling.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
I found the slop in my steering at it was the steering rack to... only it wasn't inside.. it was the rack mounting points having a tiny bit of slop in them.. drove me nuts for months... now that it is fixed, it feels like a totally different car..... I'm still marvelling.

I checked my mounting points, with a torque wrench, and they do tend to slacken off very slightly over a long period of time, but not enough to cause me issues. I tighten them back up & when i throw the car hard around a corner i can still get the slop & hammer in the steering. Everything else is up to scratch, and even passed pedders suspension check. All nolethane bushes, pedders white shocks & kings springs.

My car also bump steers more than it used to when the rack didn't have any slop in it. Being as low as it is, it tends to bump steer more than a stocker, but it's getting worse.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2