Fordmods Logo

Groaning noise when turning right or going straight?! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Groaning noise when turning right or going straight?!
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, seems something has risen up to piss me off yet again lol..

Whats happening is while driving straight or with wheel turned to right there is a groaning/grinding noise coming from something fron the front wheels, feels like the front right, but cant be positive to be honest.
It happens at all temps and on occasions goes away for 5-6 days then comes back for few days n goes away again.. s**t me right off as its loud enough to hear over music also. :lol:

Took it back to guys who did my brakes/susp and they seem to think its in the steering rack or powersteering unit, they were not much more help than that tho.

On wednesday its booked in for them to have a real good look over front brakes as i honestly think it could have something to do with it, as it seems to get louder n harder grinding sound when braking and turning right..

It has benn happening before i lowered car, so its not a lowering issue im certain, but other than that im stumped.

Ive taken wheels off on 3 occasions to see if i can suss something but with no luck.

Any ideas are going to be a great help, also anyone who knows someone GOOD with this stuff in SE melb and doesnt charge an arm n a leg.

Thanks guys.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

does it happen turning left?

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Yes i've had DBA slotted stoppers and some sort of hard-as-rock Bizztec pads put on along with the superlow suspension setup. I was told that it was the suspension bushes wearing into a new position but i have had all of the main ones replaced ... go figure. I too have put it down to the brakes and have been old by another mob that "Chamfering" (is that right!?) the pads will solve the 'rubbery creaking' sound.

If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be, gissa suggestion on how to fix it as the noise is driving me bloody insane. Have been back to the guys who put the brakes on and was told "i cant be bothered looking at it right now". My handbrake doesnt work after the fitting and was told "it too much of a pain in the a*** to fix". :shock: Rightyo then! This goes out to all of the unhelpful auto businesses: Go suck nuts!

Sorry just had to vent some anger lol! :wink:

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:

Sorry, I thought I had made that clear - No it doesn't make the noise when the wheel is turned slightly to the left..
Ive got good rotors n pads, doubt its the actual condition of either if its to do with brakes as it goes away after few days to a week of horrid noise.
Then when all seems a week later it comes back; wtf? :idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
NC 5ltr wrote:

Sorry, I thought I had made that clear - No it doesn't make the noise when the wheel is turned slightly to the left..
Ive got good rotors n pads, doubt its the actual condition of either if its to do with brakes as it goes away after few days to a week of horrid noise.

having a bit of a stab in the dark but it could be the ball joints cause it only affects one direction,my fairlane had a clunck when i turned right and it turned out to be a ball joint so that could be your problem as well.

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is this somehing that can be a problem for 1 week then not the next tho lol, not saying its not, but had road worthy dont not long ago, it was went all over with fine tooth comb, trust me - i got the bill in the end!
I replaced them on my old fairlane before i sold it due to roadworthy cert and didnt notice any difference..
Not ruleing it out tho, ill ask them to look at that.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
Daniel wrote:
NC 5ltr wrote:

having a bit of a stab in the dark but it could be the ball joints cause it only affects one direction,my fairlane had a clunck when i turned right and it turned out to be a ball joint so that could be your problem as well.

cheers

Had this suggested to me as well, but no apparant wear was picked up. Maybe replace them and see what happens?

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

what would be worthwhile is to go to pedders suspention and get them to do a susp check costs about 14$ but they check everything front n back.

as for "I replaced them on my old fairlane before i sold it due to roadworthy cert and didnt notice any difference.. " they may have not been rooted so u wouldnt notice but when i got mne done i DID notice the diff.
hope al works out for ya :wink:

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I dont think its that, it sounds more like metal on metal n it even sounds like the groves of the slotted disc groaning, but it seems too bad to be that and to not notice it when took wheel off..

Post subject: bloody creak
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au wagon xr

QLD, Australia

We have an AU wagon with XR suspension and it has the groan as well
had a good look at it today and found the little click it makes as you lower it is coming from the Left hand Upper inner

will let you know if it fixes mine

:D

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Check your front wheel bearings, and how tight they are....

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Nissan Skyline

SA, Australia

i had groaning noises when i turned my front wheels, also sounded like metal on metal... but i found out it was because of loose locknuts...

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i'd be checking wheel bearings too

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

its not locknuts, im 100000% sure on that..
wheel bearings were redone not 10,000kms ago - really think its gonna be that? guess anything is possible haha.

Thing is it comes n goes for week here, week there - too hard to find as everything i think of it would make the noise all the time or at least on off constantly.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Not necessarily, my EL had this exact same problem after about 3000ks of driving following the replacement of my bearings

turned out i hadnt packed them quite well enough, and also were a little loose. Started out with a intermittent grinding noise, then got worse as the grease was pushed out of the bearings further. Its only a split pin replacement job to check anyway

too many rabbits in china

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]