Fordmods Logo

Has anyone tried Nankang tires? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Has anyone tried Nankang tires?
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey,,, just asking if anyone has any feed back on nankang tires because i'm looking for a set of wheels and some wheel places do packages with these tyres and the price is alrite, just wondering if they are a decent typre or something to stay away from,and your opinions on how they handle on the road. and also are 18inch rims legal to fit on a series 1 au falcon?
anyinfo would be great , thanks .

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

I've heard that they are pretty damn good for a cheap tire.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

mate i just got new wheels and tyres, and i have those nan kang on mine aswell, they seem really good so far, heaps grippy, i have a few mates with them too and they tell me they are good wearing also. oh and they smoke unreal.......... :D

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

VIC, Australia

the nankangs are a very good tyre, my uncle who owns a tyre shop sells a lot of nankangs for guys with 17inch rims and bigger

XF EFI Turbo, Intercooled, Wolf 3D, T66, 48mm Pro-Gate, 3inch Mandrel Bent Exhaust, C9 with 3800rpm stall, 3.23:1 with mini spool and 31 spline Billet Moser axles.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:35 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

nankang = very good.

I've had a set (of NSII Ultra Sport) now for about 40,000K's still got about 40% tread. And they're much better in the wet and dry than the G2 Goodyear Eagle F1s I had previously.

The plain Nankang pattern looks s**t, but the NSII are very good.

I'd definately buy 'em again when I'm up for new rubber. Especially when they're availbe from about $125 a corner for 235/45R17s

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Post subject: Nankangs is good
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 56 Victoria

QLD, Australia

I've just made the transition from Continental 255/45ZR18's ($780ea)
To Nangkangs 265/35ZR20's ($410ea) With a rim upgrade of course. They seem fine to me, and who cares if they wear out quicker, their half the price. Seriously if they have a high speed rating they should be ok. Ive alway been into good quality tyres, and after buying these I havent been dissappointed. My car only does about 2000 miles a year though so I cant answer on durability. They end up in smoke anyway.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I had some 225/50/16 nankang cheapies on recently. When i went for tyre change the tyre shop could not stop telling me how crap Nankang tyres are. He really went on about how they were no good.
Despite that i got heaps of life out of mine and grip was not too bad either. I think the shop may have been biased as they did not sell them.
Based on my experience and few others - i say get them. I havent heard of anyone having a bad experience - but i do wonder about the shops comments.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

MO wrote:
I had some 225/50/16 nankang cheapies on recently. When i went for tyre change the tyre shop could not stop telling me how crap Nankang tyres are. He really went on about how they were no good.
Despite that i got heaps of life out of mine and grip was not too bad either. I think the shop may have been biased as they did not sell them.
Based on my experience and few others - i say get them. I havent heard of anyone having a bad experience - but i do wonder about the shops comments.

As you said they do not sell them, and maybe can't get them. So they bag the crap out of them so you will purchase something he sells. Was he pointing out an alternative?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Yes he was ponting out an alternative - thats why i was skeptical. Anyway i had a good run with them. My XR6 is a daily driver and i had no problems - they lasted for ever. So long i cannot remember how long ago i put them on. I do not do to much hard driving but for everyday stuff they were fine. Being so cheap you can afford to replace them if they are no good after a few months anyway.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

I have em on (225/60/15's) and they are very good, I would reccomend em to any one.

Mate of mine sells em says they are simply a yokohama tread pattern used under licence so there is a good deal of research behind the tyre!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

i think nakang is a subsidery of yoko or toyo like holdung is a subsidery of GM

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I'm on my second set of Nankang EX-601's (225/60/15) and am extremely happy with them - I've had a set of FM901's on this car and those had NOTHING on the EX-601's except much shorter life and about $150 more per tyre.

Recently I had to put my old 15 inch steel wheels with 205 Pirellis on the front for a day and - YUCK - the EX-601's are smooth and quiet with heaps more grip compared to the Pirellis which I used to think were the ducks guts.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried Nankang tires?
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

lostdude wrote:
Hey,,, just asking if anyone has any feed back on nankang tires because i'm looking for a set of wheels and some wheel places do packages with these tyres and the price is alrite, just wondering if they are a decent typre or something to stay away from,and your opinions on how they handle on the road. and also are 18inch rims legal to fit on a series 1 au falcon?
anyinfo would be great , thanks .
in my opinion the are one of the best in a bad bunch but hey they are cheap and seem too last ok ive got mates that run them and are happy as for 18" on an au1 i really hope they are legal coz mine has them(they are on an xr)not sure on std falc as series 1 only had 15"

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
MO wrote:

As you said they do not sell them, and maybe can't get them. So they bag the crap out of them so you will purchase something he sells. Was he pointing out an alternative?
yeah i think that would be it if i get someone at work i wont sell them as we are only high end stuff ie:michelin once you start selling cheaper brands its costing you sales from your main brands i try not to fall into the bagging out other brands ect because like allmost every post in here they all like them so if i tell you they are s**t and you like them you think im full of s**t so i just recomend someone that does sell them(if i cant sell em michelin)lol

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

Slight hijack, has anyone had Nexen tyres and what are your opinions? They are apparently a subsiduary of Michelin, I've been told.

Nexen, Nankang. They both start with N so it's not really off topic :wink:

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next