Fordmods Logo

Heavy Clutch? Will a replacement help? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Heavy Clutch? Will a replacement help?
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: '96 XH Falcon Ute

NSW, Australia

I've got a '96 XH Falcon Ute with a very heavy clutch, previous owner advised me that he had a heavy duty clutch installed and this may be why, but it seems much heavier than any other vehicle I've driven and is absolute torture in heavy traffic as you can imagine.

Will replacing the clutch be a viable solution to this, or is this just something I have to attempt to live with?

Post subject: Re: Heavy Clutch? Will a replacement help?
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Discostaya wrote:
I've got a '96 XH Falcon Ute with a very heavy clutch, previous owner advised me that he had a heavy duty clutch installed and this may be why, but it seems much heavier than any other vehicle I've driven and is absolute torture in heavy traffic as you can imagine.

Will replacing the clutch be a viable solution to this, or is this just something I have to attempt to live with?

I would be checking your clutch cable before you start changing clutches. Could be the inner part of the cable has broken some threads, could be that the clevis at the top of the cable may be buggered OR, you may have a broken clutch pedal shaft?

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: '96 XH Falcon Ute

NSW, Australia

Might have to take it to a mechanic to get those questions answered! I thought it might have just been a normal thing with a H/D clutch, but when I have it serviced I'll get the mechanic to check and let me know.

Thanks PS!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

my matehad an xg falcon ute with a hd cluth kit it was like you needed legs like hercules just to push the bugger down for some reason i find they are too heavy compared to some of the other hd clutches ive used.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

even the standard clutch in a falcon feels heavy enough being cable clutch, if your that worryed about it check the stuff papa mentioned and if none of that is the problem its probably just an aftermarket heavy duty clutch

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have an Exedy HD clutch in mine and its not very heavy at all, the pedal box could be bent or broken and pulling the clutch cable in on an angle which would make it hard.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

jst a thought but if it's had been sitting for quiet some time the throwout bearing may not be slideing along the shaft properly.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Replace the cable as a first step, while it is out check the firewall. My AU had an unbelievably heavy clutch, changed the cable and it was light as a feather.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef II,BFmkII XR6 ute

VIC, Australia

Quite often the input shaft sleeve the thrust-bearing slides on, (which is alloy) wears out causing the thrust bearing to bind up on the sleeve and a very heavy s***. It's a known problem and mal wood auto make a replacement one with steel where it counts that is either cheaper or the same price as a genuine part($250ish). I put one in my mum's ef after snapping two cables and it was a revelation the car went from having the heaviest clutch I've ever used to light as a feather(relatively, it also has a heavy duty clutch).

It's also worth checking the firewall and pedal assembly for distortion and cracking, and the cable itself too before you rip the gearbox out. Good luck mate

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]