Fordmods Logo

HELLLLLP EL BTR WIERDNESS!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: HELLLLLP EL BTR WIERDNESS!!
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey peeps, I drove about 30 k's for a job interview this morning and on the way home my mont felt like it was stuck in 3rd, sluggish takeoff and in the 90 zones it was revving at 2500. I know btrs suck and I need a t5 but looking at getting a ba/f xr6t next year. I gave the engine and trans a service when I bought the car a few months ago. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what is the fix?

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Post subject: Re: HELLLLLP EL BTR WIERDNESS!!
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

when mine used to do it i would pull up on the side of the road turn the car off and start again, pretty sure its limp home mode which means the ecu has found a fault with the trans and its gone into LHM

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Ah crap, cheers for the tip bry

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:08 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Is it trans too hot? 30 k's-> stop and heatsoak for 20 mins then drive home? NEED MOAR COOLER right?

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Was the auto filled correctly to the fluid level....???
Has the gear selection switch been replaced ???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Sounds like it's definatley in Limp Home Mode. I've had a few things cause this problem, only on V8's bit the same principle applies. Firstly, make sure the transmission is filled to the correct level (I've had a few problems with them leaking) also make sure the inhibitor switch is good, a faulty inhibitor switch will cause issues, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, check the wiring harness that goes between the gearbox and the main harness, I've had these fail, and put the car in LHM. One other thing too is I've heard that the thermo fan relays not operating correctly can make it go into LHM too. If the transmission is overheating, the "ECON" light on the dash will begin to flash. It'll also go into LHM if it has a nasty internal fault (hope it's not this) or a dead solenoid.

Hope this helps,

Gab

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I had this recently on the wife's car. It turned out to be a stuffed S2 solenoid.
When it happens, if it doesn't go away when you turn off the ignition and on again, get under the car and check resistance at the pins, in the round plug, to ground.
I can't remember which ones are which right now, but you can work it out from the Ford service manual.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

The btrs are a good box if you look after them. Problems lie in them being abused, lack of servicing and general punishment. I had issues with the controller where it burned out a circuit board and was hunting between the gears and then going into limp mode. Contrary to what some believe,the diagnostic tools used by some shops will not show this when they hook it up and will come up as a speedo error. The only way to confirm it is the controller is to remove it and look for blackening of the pins.

Other issues are poor oil, burnt bands which are non adjustable, poor or no servicing, selector switch being scalded by the cat converter(if you don't have the heat shield on either the cat or the box, get one!!!), general abuse by the driver(they are not a performance box by any means) and just sheer laziness with Respects to owners. Check the things you can checheck yourself to eliminate the obvious, pull the controller out(it is above your left foot in the drivers footwell)and look if there is any blackening of pins. It is a pain to remove so beware. Failing this, a reputable auto mech will do you well.

Hooroo

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

MAD wrote:
I had this recently on the wife's car. It turned out to be a stuffed S2 solenoid.
When it happens, if it doesn't go away when you turn off the ignition and on again, get under the car and check resistance at the pins, in the round plug, to ground.
I can't remember which ones are which right now, but you can work it out from the Ford service manual.

+1 Had the exact same thing on my EF once.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Cheers for all the replies guys, it did it again today driving to work, 39 degrees today :s
I stuck my head under the car when I got to work and I'm pretty sure the cat is cooking my trans, definitely gonna make a heat shield I reckon.
Me and my old boy serviced the trans about a month ago. The oil that come out was fairly average but the pan was relatively clean. I think the previous owner towed a caravan or other heavy crap. I'll take it up to my dads when he gets back from the river and have a look. Thanks again! :D

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

the btr's are a good transmission if looked after, limp home could mean it's hot or there is an internal problem, service them evey year and they are fine.
my 95 ef still has the original auto from new and was used for towing a caravan before i bought it, and it still going ok.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]