Fordmods Logo

Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 160

Joined: 28th Mar 2005

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Hi,

Just pulled auto box out, to realise that there is a semi-spherical metal shape petruding out of the hole in the middle of the 6 flywheel bolts????? Apparently the motor has flat tops, and a full race spec bottom end and head work built into it.

Please tell me its simply a case of removing it, somehow??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

spigot bearing?
give us a photo so we can visualize what your talking about.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:06 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 160

Joined: 28th Mar 2005

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Yeah its a little round thing which is sitting in where the spigot bearing goes. It sits out about 3cm and is a round shape.

Just wondering how this pops out so I can put in the spigot bearing?

Cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3805

Joined: 22nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

Location: Wellington
New Zealand

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 160

Joined: 28th Mar 2005

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Im hoping its that easy.. Just want to make sure someone else knows about it?

Nothings ever simple with cars.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:44 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 52

Posts: 253

Joined: 22nd Mar 2008

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Yep, It's the convertor spigot thats snapped off and is hanging out.

Do what Fiend said - Drill a hole in it, Spray some WD40 in it & let it soak for a few hours, Then put a screw in the centre & lever it out with a couple of heel bars. They usually come out pretty easy then.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:50 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 160

Joined: 28th Mar 2005

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

But the nose of the torque converter(3000rpm stally) is perfectly fine (Flat finish with paint perfectly in tact). Whats in there is a deliberately shaped shape with a smooth circular(spherical) finish, which is flush with the outer casing. There has certainly been nothing that has snapped off.

I will see if I can get a photo later tonight(working on a sunday.. how good is life).
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 160

Joined: 28th Mar 2005

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Image

Image

Any ideas on how to get it out???
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:28 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

drill a hole in it, fill it with grease and punch it out.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

just drill or punch a hole in it and lever it out with a big screw driver.. :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

i should explain better.

Drill a fairly large hole in it, and try to lever it out.
Failing this, drill a larger hole and find a dowel the fits snuggly inside the hole.
Fill the insides with grease i mean fill it, insert the dowel and smack it with a hammer, the grease will pop it out.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 3045

Joined: 26th Nov 2008

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

Location: In the drivers seat
SA, Australia

What you need to do is buy a set of ezyouts they are like a corkscrew.

Image

Basically you drill a hole and lightly tap one of these babys in with a hammer. Then you get a shifter and unscrew it as if it was a bolt. The spirals on the ezyout are in the direction of a left hand thread and when turning it anticlockwise the spirals bite in to the hole you have drilled and the spigot will come out.

ezyout sets can cost $20 to $30 and can be used for extracting broken bolts aswell

 

_________________

Image
http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2833

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Lincoln LS, MKII Escort, ED

Location: geelong
VIC, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
What you need to do is buy a set of ezyouts they are like a corkscrew.

Image

Basically you drill a hole and lightly tap one of these babys in with a hammer. Then you get a shifter and unscrew it as if it was a bolt. The spirals on the ezyout are in the direction of a left hand thread and when turning it anticlockwise the spirals bite in to the hole you have drilled and the spigot will come out.

ezyout sets can cost $20 to $30 and can be used for extracting broken bolts aswell


Easy outs will be of no help here.

 

_________________

Because i can.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 3045

Joined: 26th Nov 2008

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

Location: In the drivers seat
SA, Australia

JOSE wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
What you need to do is buy a set of ezyouts they are like a corkscrew.

Image

Basically you drill a hole and lightly tap one of these babys in with a hammer. Then you get a shifter and unscrew it as if it was a bolt. The spirals on the ezyout are in the direction of a left hand thread and when turning it anticlockwise the spirals bite in to the hole you have drilled and the spigot will come out.

ezyout sets can cost $20 to $30 and can be used for extracting broken bolts aswell


Easy outs will be of no help here.


Yes I did jump the gun, after seeing the pics again I have had another idea. you could weld a stud on the cover and use a slide hammer to knock it out.

Another idea would be a cold chisel, use it to force it away from the crank. the you can get a lever in there to get it out.

 

_________________

Image
http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 5889

Joined: 2nd Mar 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: '14 Grand Cherokee

Location: Port Lincoln
SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
JOSE wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
What you need to do is buy a set of ezyouts they are like a corkscrew.

Image

Basically you drill a hole and lightly tap one of these babys in with a hammer. Then you get a shifter and unscrew it as if it was a bolt. The spirals on the ezyout are in the direction of a left hand thread and when turning it anticlockwise the spirals bite in to the hole you have drilled and the spigot will come out.

ezyout sets can cost $20 to $30 and can be used for extracting broken bolts aswell


Easy outs will be of no help here.


Yes I did jump the gun, after seeing the pics again I have had another idea. you could weld a stud on the cover and use a slide hammer to knock it out.

Another idea would be a cold chisel, use it to force it away from the crank. the you can get a lever in there to get it out.


Simon tried to use a cold chisel to get my spigot bearing outer race out of the crankshaft, and he actually dented the end of the chisel, and the spigot didnt get a single mark :shock:

 

_________________

11/93 ED OPT20 GLi | Full Boat Spec

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EF_nut and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names