Fordmods Logo

Help - need to repair steering in XE sedan 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Help - need to repair steering in XE sedan
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XE

VIC, Australia

hi, i need to change the bush in the steering coupling on my xe sedan and was wondering if anyone knows if the steering box needs to come out or not? is if a pain in the a*** to change?

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi,
funnily enough I just replaced the steering box in my car on the weekend so I can help you with this one...when I put the new box in the first time, I didn't line up this coupler right so I tried for a few seconds to do it without removing the box, only to realise I was wasting my time. unbolted it again, realigned the coupler, back in in about 5 minutes. There are only 3 bolts holding the box to the framerail, accessible in wheelwell - you don't need to disconnect the pitman arm at all (THIS is the pain in the a## bit) - just take out the 3 bolts, move the box forward - its a bit heavy so be prepared, tho I did the swap in / out by myself - the coupler itself has two bolts that hold it together (i.e. steering shaft to box) and one bolt in a sorta clamp arrangement that holds the coupler to the steering box shaft - change what you need to change, slide the box back in taking care to line the coupler up, and put the nut loosely on one of the coupler bolts so it doesn't come apart, then from under the car you can support the steering box, eyeball down the bolt holes to line them up, put in the bolts, and tighter to 65 ft/lbs.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]