Fordmods Logo

Help... Steering 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Help... Steering
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:08 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

VIC, Australia

I have a NL fairlane... I lowed it using King springs, and shortened shocks.

Since i have lowed it, it was good, steering was better and aligned to "Tickford" settings.

In the last month things have started to change... The car has gotten lower. by like 20 to 30mm. The camber went out(The tops of the wheels lent in wards) it toed in n worn out the front tyres in about two weeks if that... Only on the outside edge.

So i took it to my uncle(Owns a tyrepower) bought a Camber kit, installed more shims at the same time replaced both front wheel bearings, new tryes, bushes n everything else i could see that would get worn.

Had a wheel alignment, all good.

Headed to "Ballarat" and not 20min down the road my alignment went all "Gay", After i came back from ballarat i got another alignment... Wheels were toeing in again, camber was all out as well. Fixed it n got another alignment.

Driving it home... Not even half way home, n out she goes again. except not very bad. didn't pull to a side or anything, just the wheel wasn't straight.

I spent all of today back at the workshop.... Moved more shims around n had three alignments. everytime it came back it was F**KED... I feel like crashing my car just so i can get my money back n buy something better!

there is only one other bush i haven't done... It's on the Bottom "Control arm"(I think thats what it's called anyway) It's a big one. I tightened the wheel bearings again too... they had become lose, or settled it.

I'm doing everything i can myself to cut back on labour... Except for the parts that i have no idea on how to do it! IE alignment, shims... really i just do the work n get told what to do.

My problem is... Has any1 had this happen to them? and if so... how did you fix it? What else can i do?

Thanks for your time, Thanks for any help.

Parker

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:18 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

only reason i can see camber going out by driving down the road is the lower inner bush being worn as you described. Do you have the tickford optioned suspension? If so, i am betting you have a urethane lower inner, and that is bad news. From the factory they where pretty crap, and would turn to powder after awhile. This is the bad thing about urethane/nolathane.... (unless maintaned ie greased, they turn to crap!)

Get it checked out and then see how you go.

It is the only logical reason i can come up with to explain both a camber and toe change.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:28 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

well i plan on droppin my car off in the morning... Saying i want it back working n aligned!

Saying i want... New bushes(Those bottom ones) and all of the rack checked out.

The current bushes are red, also i noticed a few other bushes under the motor look new... So i don't know. These bottom bushes don't have "Play" but i don't like em... My uncle reakoned they were alright... I was saying i want new ones anyway. I'm F**King sick of bringing this car back n fixing everything on it... I want it to go! and fast... lol

Blown EL..

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

that was happening to my xr8 but a lot worse then that. In the end I got it aligned and then leaving the tyre place about a block down the road the passenger side tyre basically moved so far out of alignment it was actually dragging along rather then rolling. It was making a hell of a noise. Ended up being the urethane bushes that you are talking about they were flogged out big time.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:57 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Wave_Man wrote:
The current bushes are redl

Then xf_xr6 diagnosed right, they are probably the factory polyurethane bushes.
"EL XR8" on here was munching 19" tyres because of those bushes being f**k.
Inner lower control arm bushes.
You can get complete replacement Nolathane arms, with the bushes already pressed in, makes turnaround a bit quicker.
No idea on price, but as xf_xr6 said, if they arent greased properly, they will f**k up.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:27 pm 
Smokin em up

I've found Nolathane bushes are only good for back and forth movements like the ones in a Watts link and use normal bushes for up and down like in the sway bar link and lower control arm.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You didn't mention the Balljoints, or the tie-rod ends, or the rack-ends.
Have you checked them for wear???
Did you replace the front strut bar bushes???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

hey guys,

I got it all fixed now... It was the bushes... You could see them by looking under the car... except when they got taken out they were f**k... The only "Bush" in the bushes was at the ends... the pin that goes in the bushes was grinding down as well.

I was there to put them in, but i saw the old s**t... and i was told that the new ones are a different design...?

Well in the end the cost was 550 for me... my two front tires are in the rubbish now($230) camber kits($100), Labour, bushes, alignment, and two second hand tryes... $320.

So i'm broke again, but my car is running nicely. It's very quiet and with no road noise.

--------------
All the balljoints, and rest of steering was checked out... No wear, no slack.

Thanks every1 for ya help
Parker

Blown EL..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]