Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: help!!! way around wheel spacers for engineer report
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1990 ea 5 speed

SA, Australia

hey guys needin help wit dis
im gettin new rims but theyre 19"s on an ea falcon wich comes standard with 15"s and their made for the au offset so i need wheel spacers but they're illegal in S.A i need to get an engineers report so i dont get defected all the time is there any way around the spacers just for the engineer report sorri if i didnt explain properly but really need help

thanks for any help u can offer

89 ea falcon " panda" ef 5spd i6 engine with wade 1673 cam shaved ported head, full stainless 2 n half inch zaust 20 inch rims n 330mm brake upgrade soon to hae m90 blower running 12 pound pulley :D

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

this is why you most likely cant pass with spacers...
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54731&highlight=spacers

those 19s would cost a bit... just sell you ea and by a AU with the cash :)...

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU XR8 220 Series 2

VIC, Australia

Either dont buy them, and get pre AU offset.

Simple- After reading that link about spacers i wouldn't risk it.

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA
AU 2 XR8 220 - Stock - Silhouette, 5spd man.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

haha lol AU no way lol i already got full el xr6 interior in my ea i got a BA xr6 turbo engine ready to go cost me 4 n a half MMM bodykit from fibresports in sydney i still gotta order i like tha oldskewl look of the ea look muscley not sporty like tha el n au's preer av a custom car than a stock new 1 lol but tha rims costin me 2500 for everything plus 450 for engineer certificate gd price jus gotta get around me problem lol

89 ea falcon " panda" ef 5spd i6 engine with wade 1673 cam shaved ported head, full stainless 2 n half inch zaust 20 inch rims n 330mm brake upgrade soon to hae m90 blower running 12 pound pulley :D

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

yea well it depends tho iv had 1 mate brought tha cheapo ones done tha same thing snapped off i was like s**t, but then anotha mate got a vh with genuine billet steel ones drifted into a gutter bent his axle n cracked tha mag yet tha spacers were fine so i dunno i want these rims so hard findin sumin tha looks nice on it lol

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

fourL6 wrote:

im fairly sure that that incident was caused by the wheel nuts botttoming out or being loose...if you read down the first page EL GT hits the nail on the head...

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

They are still illegal for VERY good reasons. Your hub is designed so that the load bearing member is the center spigot piece that your wheel bearings fit into. The nuts/studs are there to hold the wheel onto the hub ONLY. The studs are NOT designed to be carrying the weight of the car. There is no workaround you can do to have adaptors pass a RWC as the car is not safe with them. You will need to get wheels with correct offset as mentioned already.

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

s-tranzor wrote:
They are still illegal for VERY good reasons. Your hub is designed so that the load bearing member is the center spigot piece that your wheel bearings fit into. The nuts/studs are there to hold the wheel onto the hub ONLY. The studs are NOT designed to be carrying the weight of the car. There is no workaround you can do to have adaptors pass a RWC as the car is not safe with them. You will need to get wheels with correct offset as mentioned already.

The centre spigot only bears the load after the studs have flexed, which only occurs during an accident. For the centre spigot to bear the load during normal driving the rim would have to be a press fit on the centre spigot, and then it would be an a*** to get off. This isn't the case.

So in my view hub adapters are only less safe in the case where there is not a centre spigot (including the original one) within earshot of the rim's hub and the car is involved in an accident where further control of the car after impact would be desirable.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
s-tranzor wrote:

The centre spigot only bears the load after the studs have flexed, which only occurs during an accident. For the centre spigot to bear the load during normal driving the rim would have to be a press fit on the centre spigot, and then it would be an a*** to get off. This isn't the case.

So in my view hub adapters are only less safe in the case where there is not a centre spigot (including the original one) within earshot of the rim's hub and the car is involved in an accident where further control of the car after impact would be desirable.

Exactly right.

Autospeed recently did an article about how most wheels are not a good fit on the centre spigot bearings of cars - including factory wheels.
So to all those that claim get the proper wheels because they're safer, even the factory wheels arn't made perfect enough to sit on the centre spigot. In the example they used it looks like a factory Lexis wheel and it was out by 5mm!

Personally, I have full custom hub adapters, that have a centre spigot that is the exact size of the centre hole of the wheels - the hub adapters were made specifically for my wheels by a local automotive engineer, who believes they are at least as safe as proper offset wheels.

skidder wrote:
fourL6 wrote:

im fairly sure that that incident was caused by the wheel nuts botttoming out or being loose...if you read down the first page EL GT hits the nail on the head...

EL GT has it spot on there. I've yet to see an incident in which the hub adapters are proven at fault.
The cause of the incident was later discovered - in the owners own words:
Tocchi wrote:
forgot about this topic.

i discovered the problem a week or so ago.

the thread pitch on the hub adaptor studs are different to factory studs
cant remember exactly, but ones 1.5 and the other is 1.75

so pretty much they wound on the first few turns, but didnt grab properly :S

Check out the hub adapters they're running in this link:

ELGT wrote:
OK, hub adaptors used correctly are very safe, and can handle enormous load, as seen in factory fitment on wide body porches, and F series fords like link here

http://www.rocketsportstrucks.com.au/Du ... rsions.htm

The one on the right is a factory front hub adaptor, that Ford use on front hubs on DRW F250/F350/F450 trucks.....so much for not carrying load.

Used correctly, they are fine in my opinion.

Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's actually unsafe...

Then there's this fella:
Xflow wrote:
Wheel adaptors are strong from my experences i lost my car to a pole few months ago and the mag shattered before it even cracked or bend anything on the wheel adaptor. sold the adaptors to a make for next to nothing and there still going strong today

So the wheel got f**k up and the hub adapter was fine? Nice.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Seeing that you are throwing so much dough at this EA,
I say keep spending and engineer the AU running gear into
the car..........

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

thanx ' twr7cx'

how much did it cost u for ur custom spacers???

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ea street sleeper wrote:
thanx ' twr7cx'

how much did it cost u for ur custom spacers???

$300.00 a couple of years ago now.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

awesome cheers bro fukin sux tryna find sum 19s thatll fit on there for tha engineers report lol that was my main question n ended up gettin side tracked on huib adapters lmao ohwell thanks anyways least once i get tha adapters will b more safe

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

What wheels are you running? Theres a few 18s/19s for the falcons out now... that you dont need spacers for.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

tha ones that r on tha car now or 205/65 R15's not sure on tha offset its an ea so aparently i need a 35mm adapter to reach tha au offset if i can find any sort of cheap as,second hand or e3van borrowed 19s thatll fit on my car i can get tha engineers report give the rims back or sell them n then atleast im covered for wen i get pulled over aslong as they dont see the adapters

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next