Fordmods Logo

high stall questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: high stall questions
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

i just got off the phone to preston automotives and i asked them what a price on a 2500-2800rpm high stall would be and they said it wnt do any thing unless the rebuild it to a performance tranny and it will cost me $2500.is this true?do i have to rebuild my whole transmission to get a effect from the high stall?i just want the high stall for take offs if the gear box blows ill just go and get another one from the wreckers i never planned on rebuilding it.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Post subject: Re: high stall questions
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

no, i think there just chasing the cash!
i just put a 2500 stall on a well used eb gearbox behind my turbo engine, it works fine..

but in the long term, a high stall usually means your going to give it a hard time which means more heat in the trans which will probably shorten its life slightly..
this can be overcome by fitting a big cooler and a shift kit...

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

as troymanhas said it absolute bullshlt.

dont need to touch the box at all. only difference is the convertor locks up at a higher rpm than standard.

im lookin at gettin a hi-stall myself and i can get my convertor customized to a hi-stall for $550.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:36 pm 

NSW, Australia

my converter still locks up like normal but i find a slight issue with it at hwy or freeway speeds, especially when i use the cruise control, on flat cruising speed eg' 80kmh the converter locks up and rpm is around 1700rpm, as soon as the cruise control senses a slight drop in speed it ads alittle more throttle then needed to maintain speed so the rpm flashes straight to 2500, not so bad when cruise control is off as i can lightly add throttle to maintain lock up for longer, same thing at 100kmh, mine keeps going in and out of lock up like a yoyo. not to sure if its a box issue yet or just a charicteristic of a higher stall while still using the lockup part of the converter??

the only down fall is my economy has droped slightly due to it reving more than std..

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so what if i get a stage 2 shift kit done and fit a transcooler (which my car doesnt have) and high stall should be ok?

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Yeah will be fine

Reminds me how Kmart auto wanted $1600 to do balljoints in old car and $900 to replace shocks. Lol

hahaha yeah i was shocked im like to them how much for a hi stall didnt ask them to fit or anything and the bloke told me you need to rebuild it to a performance gear box or it wont work i started laughing and pulled out the my mate has a 3grand hi stall on a standard box and his like yeah thats no good this that and the other so i wont be getting it done from them.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Speak to TCI (Torque Converter Industries).

Troyman - looks like you're seeing that business I was talking about - hope it's not too much of a hassle in the long run! My old beast doesn't have cruise control and it didn't occur to me that the "squishyness" would be a problem with cruise but it makes sense.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 am 

NSW, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Speak to TCI (Torque Converter Industries).

Troyman - looks like you're seeing that business I was talking about - hope it's not too much of a hassle in the long run! My old beast doesn't have cruise control and it didn't occur to me that the "squishyness" would be a problem with cruise but it makes sense.

its a bit of a hassle at times but nothing to really worrie about, it also could be that i have a mix of parts, el bbm and throttle body using the ed cruise control. it seems the throttle responce from the cruise control is alittle to agressive at times..
otherwise for the price of a small stall increase im pretty happy..

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

you'll have to J3 it. it'll go into limp home mode if you stall it up for too long

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
you'll have to J3 it. it'll go into limp home mode if you stall it up for too long

what is limp mode??

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

RE:- Trans Cooler

I ran a TCI 2800rpm HiStall in my car for 1 1/2 Years with no Trans Cooler and it had no adverse effect to my car or auto - i had 1.4 mile fun and its my daily driver - the temp gauge did not read higher either

REALLY GOOD HI-STALL AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND AND THE PRICE IS PERFECT

Hi Stalls under 3000rpm are just modified stock convertors - they have the same rotating mass and they act very similar on the road to what you would have in your car at the moment - the only difference is that when you gas it the rpm will flash to 2800rpm

To get it to stall to 2800rpm off the line i had to pull the handbrake on and foot on the brake as it would break traction with just your foot on the break

2800 was not high enough for me so i went for a Eliminator 3500 Hi Stall - now if you get one of these then this is when you require a trans cooler as the difference between the two are like night and day

BUT a trans cooler is a good idea in any case

Eliminator 3500 9.5" Hi Stall Convertor VS TCI 2800 11" Hi Stall
The pic shows the size difference

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My car had a 2500rpm stall, no trans cooler. bought it like this.
Serviced the trans just after i got it new filter fluid and it was a little dark.
Less than 5000k later trans overheated, burnt clutches - stuffed the gearbox

I would defiantly use a trans cooler if i was going to use a high stall again.

Last edited by MMD on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lmaoo you selling the one on the right?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Nah not selling it - keeping it as a spare lol

What cam have you got in your car? Where does the power come on? Have you got a dyno print out to see where max torque is? Are you intending on changing the diff gears?

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

DRHEMI wrote:
Nah not selling it - keeping it as a spare lol

What cam have you got in your car? Where does the power come on? Have you got a dyno print out to see where max torque is? Are you intending on changing the diff gears?

nar mate no cam no dyno sheet and havnt planned on changing the diff gears but probably will change em.i have a au xr6 motor the 164kw one.the power really comes in at 3grand am planning on fitting the 977b cam and probably stronger valve springs.under 3grnd there's fuk all power.would like it to take off spinning but wont unless its wet.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next