Fordmods Logo

How do I know if my manual box has a neutral switch? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How do I know if my manual box has a neutral switch?
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

Just interested to know whether my gearbox has a neutral switch or not. Planning to stop the cause of a almost fateful experience after getting my exhaust done.

Cheers.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Why would a Manual Box have a neutal switch, only fitted to auto.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

All Falcon T5's have a neutral switch on the top cover of the gearbox.

No idea why ford didn't wire the neutral safeguard switch into the ignition, its plumbed into the ecu tho for KOEO tests.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:45 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
my ea 5 speed has a neutral switch on the passenger side of the box near the front at the top of the box..

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:46 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Krytox wrote:

No idea why ford didn't wire the neutral safeguard switch into the ignition, its plumbed into the ecu tho for KOEO tests.

lol
ya beat me to it :lol:

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Yeah is there where the others said. When I did my manual conversion I wired it up so that it would not start in gear.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:

Am I correct in saying that the neutral switch is wired into pin 30 on the ECU? I had a look at the tech doc regarding the pinout, but just wanted to make sure.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Yeah is there where the others said. When I did my manual conversion I wired it up so that it would not start in gear.

That's exactly the reason I am asking. Would you mind telling me how you did it?

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

All I did was swap a couple of pins in the manual loom plug (the one that joins to the engine loom) so the neutral switch connected to where the a auto boxes neutral safety switch goes. I am not 100% sure this would work with a factory 5 speed but I expect it would (I am using a manual ecu as well).

I did have some pictures around showing what pins you need to swap, but I am pretty sure I have lost them. If I get the chance Ill dig out a manual and an auto loom and figure it out if it will help.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
All I did was swap a couple of pins in the manual loom plug (the one that joins to the engine loom) so the neutral switch connected to where the a auto boxes neutral safety switch goes. I am not 100% sure this would work with a factory 5 speed but I expect it would (I am using a manual ecu as well).

I did have some pictures around showing what pins you need to swap, but I am pretty sure I have lost them. If I get the chance Ill dig out a manual and an auto loom and figure it out if it will help.

Thankyou!

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ok here goes. This is the manual loom in my car as it is wired compared to the auto loom that came out when I did the conversion. The car will not crank unless the gearbox is in neutral.

If you choose to try this make sure that any pins you swap are not going to cause a short. If in doubt post the pinouts of your plug.

btw: To swap pins you need to lift the plastic tab that hold them in and slide the wire out the back.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Krytox wrote:
its plumbed into the ecu tho for KOEO tests.
The main one I can think of is the thermofans testing (EF/EL).
EBII-EL it also tells the ECU if the trans is in gear for lean cruise mode.
In EA/EBI, it taps into the ISC circuit.
braidy wrote:
Am I correct in saying that the neutral switch is wired into pin 30 on the ECU? I had a look at the tech doc regarding the pinout, but just wanted to make sure.
You are correct, but the return goes through pin 46, which isn't a 'true' earth ( but it is a return), i.e. doesn't measure zero resistance to the car frame.
stockstandard wrote:
If you choose to try this make sure that any pins you swap are not going to cause a short.
This is pretty important with an auto using a resistor to simulate the neutral position - when the manual neutral switch closes (when in neutral) it will short the resistor out - you will find your idle speed very sporatic. So you will need to ensure the neutral switch line is removed from pin 30.

The EB/ED wiring in the rectangular plug is different to later models.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Krytox wrote:
braidy wrote:
You are correct, but the return goes through pin 46, which isn't a 'true' earth ( but it is a return), i.e. doesn't measure zero resistance to the car frame.
stockstandard wrote:
If you choose to try this make sure that any pins you swap are not going to cause a short.
This is pretty important with an auto using a resistor to simulate the neutral position - when the manual neutral switch closes (when in neutral) it will short the resistor out - you will find your idle speed very sporatic. So you will need to ensure the neutral switch line is removed from pin 30.

So, could I put the neutral line on a relay, so if the car was in neutral, the circuit is complete, but if not, the circuit is open and the car doesn't start? If so, how would I go about doing that?

The EB/ED wiring in the rectangular plug is different to later models.

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Krytox wrote:
braidy wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
This is pretty important with an auto using a resistor to simulate the neutral position - when the manual neutral switch closes (when in neutral) it will short the resistor out - you will find your idle speed very sporatic. So you will need to ensure the neutral switch line is removed from pin 30. The EB/ED wiring in the rectangular plug is different to later models.

Sorry, screwed up.

So, could I put the neutral line on a relay, so if the car was in neutral, the circuit is complete, but if not, the circuit is open and the car doesn't start? If so, how would I go about doing that?

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

braidy wrote:
Is your car a conversion, or factory manual ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next