Fordmods Logo

How low is low??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: How low is low???
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

hey guys i am looking at lowering my el fairmont and keep hearing everyone talk about lows and super lows etc. can anyone tell me what the drop in ride hight is with these two options thanks heaps!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Lows is said to be 25mm (2.5cm) drop from orig height from factory. Dont forget what alot of factory heights on these cars are now is slightly lower than then as they would have settled and sagged somewhat..

Super lows is a 40-45mm (4-4.5cm) drop from orig height again.

Different models will sit slightly different and the biggest difference is in what brand you go for..
IE: king springs are little higher IMHO than the Whiteline equivelant springs, also with Lovells etc.
Also note different shocks can cause slightly different ride heights as they have different locations of saddles n mounts.. this can in cases like Pedders Shocks make it sit lower than it would with say KYB/Monroe/Koni/Bilstein.

Last thing you should think of is what type of roads you cover, any big pot holes/speedhumps/driveways/dips n such.. If its all pretty smooth sailing you shouldnt have issues with Superlows, so long as it sits at legel height (10cm+) from lowest point of under body..

Super lows are borderline legal in most setups, somthing to rem.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

PS: If you have XR spec suspension your car will sit at "lows" height from factory so the only way you can go down is with superlows.

Cheers -

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

cheers mate for the reply thats some good advise!!! i would like to go super low but dont want to scrap out on kerbs/speed humps etc so might have to settle for lows!!! anything is better than how it is at the moment thanks again!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Check out my gallery for how my car sits with whiteline "lows" or as they call it "Control Springs"

IMO it dropped the rear heaps -like 40-50mm and the front only slightly ayby 20-30mm, gives excellent handling with the Koni shocks. And amazingly a more comfortable ride! (firm but does not crash).
Also no problems with scraping, bottoming out curbs etc. Have put 5 ppl in and towed a 1300Kg trailer and still no problems. Best $1300 I ever spent.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I too use whiteline springs w/ bilstein shocks; love the combo, sits lower, no scraping, legal, insurance not on my back, car handles better and IS slightly softer on big bumps than the stock FBT harsh ride, can carry full car load w/ no dramas..

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Spork wrote:
Check out my gallery for how my car sits with whiteline "lows" or as they call it "Control Springs"

IMO it dropped the rear heaps -like 40-50mm and the front only slightly ayby 20-30mm, gives excellent handling with the Koni shocks. And amazingly a more comfortable ride! (firm but does not crash).
Also no problems with scraping, bottoming out curbs etc. Have put 5 ppl in and towed a 1300Kg trailer and still no problems. Best $1300 I ever spent.

where did you get it done?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
Spork wrote:

where did you get it done?

Wheels World in Osbourne Park.

The guy there is John. He really knows his s**t. The day I was there they had a Lotus Elise (the new 140Kw one), Porsche GT3, A bunch of skylines. You have to really know what your doing to improve on those factory setups!

He's also done a few e-series and knows some really good alignment specs. He also adjusted the damping on my Koni's. The car handles awesome.

If you want REAL handling rather than just looks, go no further.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

i have xr spec springs in my fairmont and the mudflaps scrape on speedhumps, but thats bout it, oh and the front hits on my ramps and scratches the paint off the bottom of my bumper :'(

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

this is dobinsons 1.5 inch lower then XR

note that the front bilstien shocks have 2 mounting hieghts this is on the lower one. the higher one is 10mm up

Attachments:
XR6 out side.jpg
XR6 out side.jpg [ 166.88 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]
XR6right side.jpg
XR6right side.jpg [ 167.65 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FALCON

SA, Australia

go super lows

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

the the pic hight is super low? or just lows?

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Now this is low!

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AU FAIRLANE

VIC, Australia

Go super lows. Check out my gallery for hieght. Touch wood havnt scraped on kerbs or speed humps and there's plenty around my area.

Now with a hint of "BLING"

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The green one is craig fountains buick!!!
I know him. Awsum car. Best thing its that low and no airbags or hydraulics.....

Sticker on the car " Airbags are for trucks "

Fuk it, You only live once!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]