Fordmods Logo

How many run their car without the spare tyre in the boot? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Happy wrote:
personally I think anyone who doesn't have a fully inflated spare, with nuts and a jack to swap it over is an idiot! :roll:

Calling people idiots is a little lame :)

There are a number of manufacturers selling cars in australia with no spare at all. As standard you get a can of tyre sealer/inflator but some allow you to buy a spare as an extra cost option, others can't as there may be no space for even a space saver tyre.
What cars are these?

Anyway there are many who wouldn't be able to change a tyre even if there was a trolly jack in the boot (thinking of a women in high heels and skimpy red dress). Cheers.
What cars are sold without spares?
I am thinking of someone on this forum too, who cant change tyres :)

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:41 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

BMW, Porche, VW's and Audi's have all had some models without spares at one time or another. It seems to vary with model year, exchange rates and public perseptions :)

Anyway the main point is tyre technology is so much better than even 10 years ago and these days it is rather rare for city folks to experiance the pleasures of changing a tyre on a wet and cold night. So the reality is your carrying that weight for no rational reason.

Regardless, i am sure that more people are stranded due to running out of fuel and dead batteries than flat tyres but you don't see spare fuel tanks and spare batteries being carried here (you do in scandinavia as being stranded can kill you during winter - but that's a little differant :)).

Cheers

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I haven't had a flat since I've had this car. But I wonder about all the wear and tear and fuel usage lugging the spare around for the last 4 1/2 years. Almost seems illogical, overkill or something. Why not just a can of the inflate stuff instead...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

the pano was on duel fuel when i got it so they had made a stand in the back for the spare ( as opposed to under the car). Then one night when i was sleeping in the back i kicked it in my sleep and f**k got up and hurled it out the back doors. Its still in the national park around like eildon :lol:

I figure if im going on a really long trip ill throw the roof racks on and take a spare with me but day to day f**k it ill call someone who cares (racv)

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
BMW, Porche, VW's and Audi's have all had some models without spares at one time or another. It seems to vary with model year, exchange rates and public perseptions :)

Anyway the main point is tyre technology is so much better than even 10 years ago and these days it is rather rare for city folks to experiance the pleasures of changing a tyre on a wet and cold night. So the reality is your carrying that weight for no rational reason.

The latest BMWs apparently have tyres that can run flat so they have no spare at all anymore. Tubeless tyres are also great since if you get anything stuck in them it'll form a seal allowing you to get to a tyre place with a minimum of fuss. HOWEVER, Falcons tend to weigh upwards of 1400-1500kgs, is removing a few kilo's of spare *really* going to make that much difference?

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

i can't run a spare in mine as the sub's take up all my boot space and I also have a fake floor in there. I don't really worry too much just driving around locally as I can ring someone up to bring me a stocky.

Different if you were going on a long distance drive, then of course you'd want a spare in there.

rob

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Before I relised there was a difference in COmmo and Falc wheels, I had a Commo wheel as a spare as it had a half decent tyre on it, now I've got a proper steelie there, but got no nuts for it if I need to use it.
Only ever had to use it once after damaging a wheel when some fishys went wrong - it'd be good to get rid of, as with the LPG it's on one of those stands.

Couldn't you just use the nuts off the flat wheel you take off the car?

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

BLKXR8 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Before I relised there was a difference in COmmo and Falc wheels, I had a Commo wheel as a spare as it had a half decent tyre on it, now I've got a proper steelie there, but got no nuts for it if I need to use it.
Only ever had to use it once after damaging a wheel when some fishys went wrong - it'd be good to get rid of, as with the LPG it's on one of those stands.

yeah - enough to get you home. I think he was refering to the standard steel wheel nuts and then having alloy wheel nuts which might be totally different, but you should get em on enough to get some where for help... :?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
BLKXR8 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

yeah - enough to get you home. I think he was refering to the standard steel wheel nuts and then having alloy wheel nuts which might be totally different, but you should get em on enough to get some where for help... :?

Fair enough

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Happy wrote:
BLKXR8 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Nah, alloy ones are shorter and capped, so they won't wind on far enough, meaning they would be holding the wheel firm or at all, they'd just stop it from rolling of the hub! Imagine the vibrations driving with a wheel that loose! Besides the stupidity of it. I'm put some normal nuts in there aswell now.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

Exactly, i have to carry a set of standard nuts as my alloy ones wont hold a standard wheel on.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG GT

SA, Australia

Happy wrote:
personally I think anyone who doesn't have a fully inflated spare, with nuts and a jack to swap it over is an idiot! :roll:

agree!!!

FFS people im a chick!!

CHRISTINE

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

s**t you guys are concerned about the weight of a spare wheel, i carry about 50kg of tool and spares enought things to get me out of about any problem i may encounter with my car, from a leaky power steering pressure switch to a siezed belt tensioner pully bearing and everything in between in my boot!

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

LSD wrote:
ItchiOne wrote:

The latest BMWs apparently have tyres that can run flat so they have no spare at all anymore. Tubeless tyres are also great since if you get anything stuck in them it'll form a seal allowing you to get to a tyre place with a minimum of fuss. HOWEVER, Falcons tend to weigh upwards of 1400-1500kgs, is removing a few kilo's of spare *really* going to make that much difference?

Will it make a difference. Not a hell of a lot. But it adds up doesn't it. When I rotated my wheels with my jack at home I used the spare to do it, and f**k me that thing is one heavy mofo. We are talking about an alloy rim after all. But all this adds up, the subby, the spare, I had a tow pack on there recently. So I took it off as I never used it. I know these 'E' cars only weigh about 1500 odd kilos, but it's like cheating isn't. Take out the spare and a couple of other things and you get it a little lighter, you know :P

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2