Fordmods Logo

How much does it cost to get bearings done on a lsd diff? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: How much does it cost to get bearings done on a lsd diff?
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:47 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Guys i have this problem!
I found a 3.23 diff off a fairmont in kilsyth (victoria) from this wreakers, i asked them to install it, they noticed that some big winding noises and vibrations from the diff, so they offered to find me the same one or greater gears, but at the moment i havn't paid for it (smart of me!!) and told me they will give me a call. Is it worth getting it checked out and tell the wreckers to take it off the buying price? or going back to my 3.08? Second how much is it going to set me back if i wanna fix this one up?
I dont know what way to go, honesty i would like to har your opinions on this situation, the last thing is to wait 5 hours for a diff change in the bush!!!
Cheers!

EL FORD FALCON 1997, Redback 2" 1/2 sports exhaust, cop ECU, Cold Air Intake

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

can anone help me?

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I got a quote of $500 to get new bearings in a single spinner 3.08 including the axles, don't know how much more an LSD would be.
That cost does not include any other parts but would include setting up the preloads .....
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Its a gutsy statement but I think that you would get away with just fitting new bearings and sticking to your original shims. The reason I say this is because the bearings are manufactured with very very accuratete tollerances, so they will be a little tight to begin with, as they would have been from the factory, then they will wear in nicely. Just make sure you keep the shims on the right sides of the hemi. to get the old bearings off take em to some one with a bearing puller or an oxy torch. The bearing puller is easy, but if you have to use a torch, first you knock the cage and rollers off, then you cut till you can see the bearing cone is getting very close to the shaft. Allways cut away from the bearing end and stop before it goes through. This will take a large amoung ot the load cause by the interferance fit between the bearings and the shaft. If its not too hot to support, knock it off with a hammer and punch, or wait till its cold to do it. It will allmost fall off when you go to hit it. The other way to do it with a torch is to heat the cone really quickly, without heating the shaft too much. This is pretty hard to do if you havnt done it before but with a couple of tries you should be able to get it.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WHAT!!!?? per wheel the bearings should cost no more then 20 bucks (thats a inner outta and seal) the bearings in the biff it's self i think i paid about $50-75 for the set it's only from memory 4 taper roller bearings and a seal

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you do go for new bearings ( bearings should never sound like their grinding) you'll need a set 309 $10.00 a set 100 $15.80 and 2 x set 18 $12.00, now thats just the bearings not the seals or speedi sleeves (only if where the seal sits isn't smooth) if you want to know where to get them
pm me i'll give you some phone numbers to call

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

i got my diff in my old 92 fairlane rebuilt (single spinner) and it cost about $800.the diff was making a grinding noise when driving,they pulled it apart and found that the carrier bearing rooted and there was shavings in the oil floating about which undoubtedly would lodge into the other bearings causing them to stuff up in the near future causing the diff to sieze.
so if i were u id get a reconditioned diff or your old one rebuilt cause u dont want to mix new parts with old.
my 2c

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
i got my diff in my old 92 fairlane rebuilt (single spinner) and it cost about $800.the diff was making a grinding noise when driving,they pulled it apart and found that the carrier bearing rooted and there was shavings in the oil floating about which undoubtedly would lodge into the other bearings causing them to stuff up in the near future causing the diff to sieze.
so if i were u id get a reconditioned diff or your old one rebuilt cause u dont want to mix new parts with old.
my 2c

cheers

so true

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:01 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Guys,
I didn't sleep all night, so this morning i went back and got my old diff put back, i notice a sqeek noise when i go over bumps, would that be my shockers or my springs are worn out?
But all is good now with the diff!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]