Fordmods Logo

How much does tyre sidewall size effect handling 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

Theryre some pretty big tyres your running on the back there champ...

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 19

Joined: 4th Jan 2009

Location: perth wa
WA, Australia

it is the same over all size as a 20 inch rim with a 295-30-20 trye on it
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

Okaay, but your supposed to be running something equivalent to around 205/65/15 or 235/45/17.....

How many falcs have you seen running 295 20"????

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 19

Joined: 4th Jan 2009

Location: perth wa
WA, Australia

it was just example on how high the rear tryes are... ive had the rear of the car tubed by 4 inchs
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 19

Joined: 4th Jan 2009

Location: perth wa
WA, Australia

it was just example on how high the rear tryes are... ive had the rear of the car tubed by 4 inchs
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

I don't see anything wrong with big diameters like the 215/70R15's, but those tyres are a bit narrow, and the sidewall would see them a bit floppy under hard cornering, you'd want a 7" wide rim to minimise the slop.

I saw some 235/60R15's on a jag recently . . . not too bad, but some 235/55R17's would be damn nice as a wider replacement for the 215/70R15's.

A 3" suspension lowering sounds scary at first . . . but then again it might have been done properly?

I'm running 235/75R15's, which have a 29"OD, and no tubs are required for these on a std height EB. But you would struggle real bad to get the car low on these as you gain 2"! They aren't too bad under normal driving, but if you get real keen around corners there is a point where they start to flop and slide, but who cares when you've got so much tread! But there is a part of me that would prefer 235/70's on 16x7.5" rims.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I'm running 215/65/15s at the moment (Turbo Blades) and there is heaps of tyre flexing compared to my 235/45/17 tyres on my AMG Quakes.

Smooth ride with bigger side walls, but flexing can be a b**ch around corners on road cars.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

They made the turbo blades 6.5" wide to give better ride comfort than 7", i reckon.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 19

Joined: 4th Jan 2009

Location: perth wa
WA, Australia

it is more about the $3500 that ive spent on the king springs and pedders bushes and adjustble control arms front 2 rear and that is why my car handles like a go kart even with the little 215 on it
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

aaron181 wrote:
it is more about the $3500 that ive spent on the king springs and pedders bushes and adjustble control arms front 2 rear and that is why my car handles like a go kart even with the little 215 on it

I don't disgree with you. Maybe you run slicks sometimes and just wanted some cheap secondhand tyres to run on the road? Anyway, good on you for doing something different, and worthwhile. Any pics?

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 19

Joined: 4th Jan 2009

Location: perth wa
WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
aaron181 wrote:
it is more about the $3500 that ive spent on the king springs and pedders bushes and adjustble control arms front 2 rear and that is why my car handles like a go kart even with the little 215 on it

I don't disgree with you. Maybe you run slicks sometimes and just wanted some cheap secondhand tyres to run on the road? Anyway, good on you for doing something different, and worthwhile. Any pics?
hey bud what do i go 2 or what do i have 2 do 2 post pics up
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

When you do a post there is a section down near the bottom that regards attachments, it is a bit odd from memory, but works if you are patient. Can't wait . . .

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

aaron181 wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
aaron181 wrote:
it is more about the $3500 that ive spent on the king springs and pedders bushes and adjustble control arms front 2 rear and that is why my car handles like a go kart even with the little 215 on it

I don't disgree with you. Maybe you run slicks sometimes and just wanted some cheap secondhand tyres to run on the road? Anyway, good on you for doing something different, and worthwhile. Any pics?
hey bud what do i go 2 or what do i have 2 do 2 post pics up


Easiest to just go to imageshack.us and host the pictures on there. it'll resize them for you and everything. gives you an HTML code to copy and past into a post on here.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names