Fordmods Logo

How to deal with bad mechanics? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: How to deal with bad mechanics?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

A few weeks ago I decided it was time to replace the uni joints on my EL Futura as they were worn and making noise, I had a spare alloy drive shaft so decided I'd buy new uni joints and have them installed into the spare driveshaft.

I bought some Toyo universal joints for $54 from a gearbox and diif place and took the driveshaft and universal joints to Marjac "care care" to have them installed. They agreed to half an hours labour which worked out to be $40... When I got the driveshaft back it had gouge marks in it from where it appears to have slipped in a vice and they wanted $89.

I removed the steel driveshaft from my car and installed the alloy one with new uni joints and took the car for a test drive only to find the driveline noise had gotten worse. I initially thought perhaps the universal joints weren't the problem I had in the first place and put up with the noise until yesterday when I had my transmission serviced. The transmission place asked "Who did your universal joints?" and I told them and they showed me that both universal joints had significant movement despite being done 3 weeks ago. Now I know for a fact they had no movement when I installed them and now i'm stuck with uni's that are 10x more f**k than my old ones.

How do I go about rectifying this situation? logically I should go back and have them re do the universal links but I am worried about them just doing further damage to the driveshaft...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: How to deal with bad mechanics?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

Get a statement from another repairer stating bad install is the cause and confront the mech, if he/she is being a prick contact consumer affairs

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Because you supplied the parts the best you are going to get is a refund on the labor, IF you are lucky and the mechanic is a decent person.

There are few issues here, the first is you don't know if the tail shaft is straight and balanced properly.
You fitted the shaft, even though you were not happy with the work that you had paid for.
You also continued to the drive the car even though there was obviously a problem.

Personally I think you should chalk this one up to experience and just never go back to that mechanic. Take the shaft to a an expert and have them make sure it's straight and usable, then have them supply and fit new uni joints and balance the shaft. I might cost you a few hundred dollars but a least you are walking away with quality job.

As the old saying goes, "the tight a*** always pays twice"

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:25 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Personally I think you should chalk this one up to experience and just never go back to that mechanic. Take the shaft to a an expert and have them make sure it's straight and usable, then have them supply and fit new uni joints and balance the shaft. I might cost you a few hundred dollars but a least you are walking away with quality job.

As the old saying goes, "the tight a*** always pays twice"

This.

Never go to the cheapest place. you get what you pay for - always.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]