How to gently shift a C4? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: How to gently shift a C4?
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I have a C4 and a very tall diff in my XB. I have a rachet shifter and hold it in 1st for a bit, up to about 4000rpm. Is it better for the box to keep the pedal down and shift to second or should I take my foot off, shift up, and then get back on the gas?

Thanks

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:01 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

i don't think it would matter what way you do it. Either or in my opinion. From what i've heard, those gearboxes can take a bit of punishment, and 4000 would not be that much. Having a tall ratio diff shouldn't make that much a difference, as the output and input from the gearbox would be the same regardless of the diff ratio.

Or so i think...

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Do you mean putting around like a grandma shifts or driving hard s**t? Then again 4000rpm is rather high for dorothy to be driving unless you have an overly large converter.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Q. How to shift gently?
A. Leave it in DRIVE.

Ratchet shifters suck. I just tried a B&M in my car for 3 months and i hated it. Swapped back to a T-bar and its much easier to flick through the gears. Especially when selecting reverse in a hurry.

IMO i can shift faster with the T-bar than with a B&M. Less throw and less effort! They are nothing more than an American equivalent to "rice".

Not only this but the cables are easily damaged. Mine was still functional but radiant heat melted the outer casing. The good old T-bar selector rod is indestructable.

If you have a stock gearbox, you might be putting a fair bit of stress on your bands if you shifting into 2nd at 4000rpm. As in a stock box 1st is slowly released as 2nd is slowly applied, so for a moment both bands are applied to give a smooth transition from 1-2. This generates heat and wear. Personally i think you need a shift kitted valve body at a minimum if you are going to drive it like that without killing it.

my 2c

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:59 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Ok, so maybe I should stop doing that and either get the C4 worked a bit or swap over to a toploader.

The rachet shifter was in there when I bought it. I find its good as the diff ratio is so tall that to get decent accel I need to hold it in 1 and 2. Im looking at getting a 3.5, 3.7 or 3.9, just trying to work out how many revs I'll be doing at 100km/h.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

So is lifting off your throttle the kindest to a stock transmission?

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

In first gear in Drive range in a C series transmission the only thing applied is the forward clutch and a one way clutch, when you change to 2nd. the band comes on to give you the next ratio and there is no releasing of one thing while the other comes on. :P

Last edited by transman on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

transman wrote:
In first gear in a C series transmission the only thing applied is the forward clutch and a one way clutch, when you change to 2nd. the band comes on to give you the next ratio and there is no releasing of one thing while the other comes on. :P
yer thats what i thought as well there nothing like a btr 4sp.

anyways mac if you planning for a topload who cares about the C4 change full noise mate.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ratchet shifters works a lot better with a manualise aftermarket valve body on a C4.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]