Fordmods Logo

Hub Adapters, don't bother 

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: ??
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

Just as a matter of interest, which wheel came off. The inside or outside wheel when doing your U turn.
Sounds like the threads were close but not the same. Rattle gun will not put enough pressure on to pull them off but a wheel turning will.

The guys are right. You stuffed up.

We all do it and you got away lightly, your wheel could have seriously injured someone or even killed someone. You were lucky.
Learn from your mistake

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Ok i think thats enough of telling the guy he made a mistake
he is obviously aware now so no need for any more negative comments to be made!

Nicko

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Ok, I took the adapters back this morning and the tyre guys had trouble putting nuts on themselves, coming to the conclusion the threadon the studs was metric and not the normal falcon 1/2" but was 12mm. This was a mistake by the manufacturer. I got my money back and will never trust a hub adapter as long as I live.

SO all the people flaming about stuffing up etc, was the adapters not me.......

Oh, and was the outside wheel and damn lucky i was doing a u-turn at the end of my street and not going to work as I travel at 80kms/hr, could have been a big problem coming off at that speed

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

In saying all that I now have a set of 17x8" BA alloya for sale, with 2 new tyres

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I don't want to be picky, but you should have noticed that the threads were different. As someone else said using a rattle gun is a nono. If u had put the nuts by hand and a brace u would have noticed something was wrong. We should all learn something from this tale.

Drive safe, arrive alive

Post subject: Re: ??
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

falconea wrote:
I don't want to be picky, but you should have noticed that the threads were different. As someone else said using a rattle gun is a nono. If u had put the nuts by hand and a brace u would have noticed something was wrong. We should all learn something from this tale.

If using a rattle gun is such a no-no then how about the thouasands of tyre shops around the country that fit wheels all day every day using just that! Thats possibly millions of wheels waiting to fly off just because they were fitted with a rattle gun.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The tyre places if they are any good put the nuts first by hand and run the up the thread and finish off with a brace. You had no idea if the nuts u were using fitted or would go up the thread. The studs were new and untested, u assumed they were correct etc. We all know that assume makes an a** out of you and me. The tyre shop at least knows that the nuts came off the studs so would go back ok. If they use the gun to fully tighten the nuts they risk over tightening the nut and stretching the stud or partially stripping the thread if the gun pressure is incorrect for your car. Commodore studs are thinner than Ford ones, so you see the problem.
When working on anything that has your or someones elses life depending on it , take more care. If you dont care about yourself, at least think of other people. You got away this time as you said "it could have happened on your way to work at a higher speed" How would you feel if you had killed someone????? I know the threads were wrong as supplied, but YOU are responsible for what you fit to your car.

I will get off my soapbox now......... but please be careful in the future.

Drive safe, arrive alive

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

there are 2 ways a rattle gun is ok - final tension with a brace, and using a special "torque" stick, which flexes when the nut get to the specified tension meaning u can leave the rattle gun rattling on it indefinatly and the nut will only be the required tension, either way starting a few turns by hand is very important

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Ive been running 35mmm hub adaptors on my EL for near on 18 Months, never had a problem at all, even went through QLD roadworthy with them on. My the looks of those pics the thread definately isnt long enough.....

BA XR6T - 435rwhp on 12psi Cheers Elite Automotive NOW FOR SALE!!

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

djmikey wrote:
The guys i bought them from said the standard for nuts will go on, as there is an option when ordering them. Guess I am going to be calling them tomorrow. There were nuts supplied to attach the adapter to the cars hub, not a drama at all. the wheel fell off bt adapter remained on the car. Thing that gets me is all 5 nuts, rattle gunned on and tested with brace, came off in the space of 40 meters.

Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of a centre spiggot to take the load off the studs?
These were an accident waiting to happen with or without the correct threads.

If adaptors were made legal, then they would have to comply with certain design standards (including the requirement for a centre spiggot) & be made for the specific application in question. Until then, the unwary will be caught out cos they want bling more than safety.

Sorry to hear about the damage dude. Sometimes trusting "professionals" blindly just isn't worth it.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Youll also notice that some mags require the use of shanked nuts. In the picture below, the part at the bottom actually helps locate the rim on the hub, and also allows more threads to be holding on with. if the mags required this type of wheel nut or similar, and you used nuts off of steel wheels, they wouldnt be gripping by enough! And to finish, if the supplied nuts didnt go on correctly, you could only assume that something was wrong!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey I am going to get flamed for this but, I have to say!

Spacers are illegal in most states, and I state any d***head recommending then should be shot on the spot (including that Hitlers revenge driver :P ), I wouldn't use them for anything other than a four wheeled boat for car shows etc.

Those spacers shown have no wheel centre hub support (where wheels often get seized onto), the wheel studs have to take all the load, the load has been increased by using the spacers and those offset wheels. All genuine Ford rims were not designed to just have the wheel studs supporting the wheels.

Most states ban the spacers for a good reason, this isn't just one states stupid law, and just because you got through a rego check with them on still doesn't mean they are legal. (They probably didn't care and didn't even know)

Pity the poor bastards killed by some d***head's wheel that flew off, just because they didn't care about safety and just cared about themselves.

It is like drink driving, more than 9 out of 10 get home for there whole life with killing someone or themselves, but we try to stop them because there is a chance they could end up being that one that doesn't.

What is the deal with using these rims anyway? Most of the time they don't suit look wise on a E or X series car.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

sam12h wrote:
djmikey wrote:
The guys i bought them from said the standard for nuts will go on, as there is an option when ordering them. Guess I am going to be calling them tomorrow. There were nuts supplied to attach the adapter to the cars hub, not a drama at all. the wheel fell off bt adapter remained on the car. Thing that gets me is all 5 nuts, rattle gunned on and tested with brace, came off in the space of 40 meters.

Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of a centre spiggot to take the load off the studs?
These were an accident waiting to happen with or without the correct threads.

If adaptors were made legal, then they would have to comply with certain design standards (including the requirement for a centre spiggot) & be made for the specific application in question. Until then, the unwary will be caught out cos they want bling more than safety.

Sorry to hear about the damage dude. Sometimes trusting "professionals" blindly just isn't worth it.

I missed your post before I posted, spot on dude!

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

r u saying u used the std wheel nuts that come with the std factory steel 14 or 15in rims?

if u did then you did something very unsafe!!

the only nuts you should use r those specially designed for that particular alloy wheel...

if it didnt fit then take it straight back to the shop....and if they dont give u the correct nuts then report them to consumer affairs...

also ALWAYS hand tighten/check the nuts with a wheel brace......I know someone whose wheel came off after a mechanic serviced his car using a rattle gun....

the entire story serves to demonstrate that a little knowledge is dangerous.....

I have seen so many people doing this sort of thing its a matter of time till someone is killed..

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

I have had a tyre shop do a balance and alignment on my car, picked up at night drove 500 m down the road and felt the steering wheel was funny, pulled over and checked the nuts, all the front ones were loose. Boy didnt the tyre shop cop it the following day, and they admited to using a rattle gun.
When I was an apprentice alot of places I worked would not allow rattle guns to be used on wheels to do up. Tyre shop prolly use them as the are quick and are more concerned about a buck than safety

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next