Fordmods Logo

I f**ked my front wheel 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

ive never had a problem with my abs can pull it up very quickly without it kicking in , if it kicks in eaes off and re aply pedal takes a little while to know the feel properly.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the main reason people crash a car with abs is because they have no idea how to use it ,people really need to get out there and find out how they work ,instead of waiting untill you ahve an accident and say oh s**t i could have avoided the accident

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Gaz wrote:
i guess the point is, you shouldnt really be threshold breaking, really no need for it.

So when you are cruising at 60 and some little kid runs out from behind a car...

I dont have ABS, so i have gone a practised braking my car on the point but have never needed it... touchwood

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

ABS is a lot more efficient than non-ABS. Who here can say they can threshhold brake more than say 100x per second? People just need to be trained how to use ABS or test it with their new cars on a safe road..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

nicco wrote:
Gaz wrote:
i guess the point is, you shouldnt really be threshold breaking, really no need for it.

So when you are cruising at 60 and some little kid runs out from behind a car...

I dont have ABS, so i have gone a practised braking my car on the point but have never needed it... touchwood

its good to know the limit yes.. i was more refering to some people you see doing it at every set of lights makes it dangerous to others...

as for abs, its saved my a** once before, some guy ran a giveway sign, if it wasnt for abs wouldn't of been able to pull up and turn outta the way in time.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

You shouldn't need to buy a whole new set of wheels. I took a chunk out of one of my wheels a few months back and for about $30-40 was able to get it repaired as good as new.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Woohoo I won the new wheels. I bid on a set on ebay, good old snowflakes, resprayed and polished up new caps and nuts for $127.00.

It seems I did some damage to the front suspension as I noticed the wheel sits about 3cm back compared to the other one.

The funny thing is the car still drives straight and the steering whel is straight too, luck maybe who knows.

Attachments:
ghia.jpg
ghia.jpg [ 21.71 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

How can you safely employ "threshold" braking on public roads? You can never be sure how grippy the tarmac is you are driving on, wether there be dirt/oil/water on the tarmac....

There are so many uncontrollable elements when you are driving on a public road, including the condition of your car. Would you know if there was a problem with your car affecting it's braking threshold?

ABS should be mandatory for all new cars IMO.

Back on topic though, if ABS engaged and still didn't pull you up quick enough, then you were driving beyond the capabilities of you and your car for those conditions. Simple.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Well today I had a bit more of a look and found that the centre of the hub was sitting 3cm back compared with the other side. I figures the only influence causing this would be the radius arm from the chassis to the lower control arm.

So off to ford for new one, got a ood price too thanks to our company account (bought an O2 sensor too while i was there) and now for the fun.

To get the existing arm out I had to undo the bottom of the srtut, where the torsion bar attaches to the control arm and where the control arm attaches to the chassis.

Then with some carfull wiggling (damn green ant in my shorts) the bar came out.

I sat them on each other with the thread at 1 end aligned and sure enough it was like i straightened it.

In goes the new one and all back together, and now off the wheel alignment place to get it back to the way it was.

Attachments:
File comment: This shows everything ready for the new par
apart.JPG
apart.JPG [ 95.13 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
File comment: See how much it is out. thanks to gitting a gutter at 50
bar.JPG
bar.JPG [ 91.68 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

JOSE wrote:
you cant threshhold brake with ABS, once you get close it kicks in, ive tried with my mums EF wagon and ABS just gets in your way. Having said that a lot of people dont know how to threshold brake and just mash the brake pedal, so ABS is good for them.

I cant threshold brake :( i either go too soft or too hard :P

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
nicco wrote:
Gaz wrote:

its good to know the limit yes.. i was more refering to some people you see doing it at every set of lights makes it dangerous to others...

as for abs, its saved my a** once before, some guy ran a giveway sign, if it wasnt for abs wouldn't of been able to pull up and turn outta the way in time.

Same thing happend to me only a month after buying my EL. Some turkey turned across me at a set of lights. Without ABS I would have T-boned him with the ABS I was able to brake hard and steer around in total control. A complete contrast to when a similar thing happened in my old Gemini, ouch!

I swear I will never buy another car without ABS.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

If you hate ABS so much, why not run a switch to it?
Thats what we wanted to do for dirt driving at the farm.

Also when its wet you can just turn it on and not worry about aqua planing.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2