Fordmods Logo

information on how the btr's are controlled 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: information on how the btr's are controlled
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

basically im in the process of designing a separate system to control the shifts. (i got the idea off of a couple of year old thread by stock standard).
the reason behind this is as you know manualised valve bodys are not available (to my knowledge anyway) and im sick of kickback
plus once finished im going to incorporate a sequential shift availabilty with hopefully flappy paddles (thanks data_mine for that idea)

anyway basically i know how autos work but i was wondering wether anyone could give me an insight as to how the btr's are controlled before i go pulling things apart.

even if somone knows what signal is sent to the valve bodys(eg what voltage) save me lots of time with a multimeter

Post subject: Re: information on how the btr's are controlled
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

All the solenoids, except S5 are simple on/off 12V / 0V deals. S5 uses a variable voltage as it's the line pressure regulator.

PM me your email addy, I'll send you the BTR tech doco. (it's about 6MB, so ensure you can receive that big a file).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

WA, Australia

will be watching this with GREAT INTEREST.....

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Could you start with a control module out of a V8 E-series and work form there? :)

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:03 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

easy as if you only want hard manual shifts, soft normal auto shifts is another story

my wolf v500 controls my auto completely, shift points , hardness , lockup etc

s1=gear change
s2=gear change
s3= dont use
s4=dont use
s5=dont use
s6= line pressure, make high
s7= t/convert lockup, make switchable for fourth only

s1/s2 combination = on on
on off
off on
off off

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

i was hoping they were simple 0 to 12v makes my job a lot easier
i Will be incorporating variable shift hardnes by adjusting the voltage to the s5

ill keep you posted on progress but i expect its not going to be too fast

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

not being a C***, but try searching using google and site:www.fordmods.com.....only cause I remember reading some good threads on here about how the btr is controlled/attempts at manualising.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

I have this:

Solenoid - S! and S2

these are normally open solenoids these two solenoids control which gear the transmission is in

Solenoid - S3 and S4

these are normally open solenoids , these two solenoids are used to control the speed and quality of the shift, they are only turned on before the shift starts and then off , with the time on varying in relation to vehicle demands and circumstances

NOTE- that in some situations with no laod these solenoids will sometimes not be activiated ( eg vehicle jacked up and car driven on jac stands with no wheel loads

Solenoid - S5

This solenoid operates on a duty cycle which controls S5 oil pressure which in turn has a affect on the shift quality. It operates in the same manner as a ISC operates to control the air bypass of the throttle body.

Solenoid - S6

This solenoid is normally closed it is switched on ( 12 volts ) to dump pressure on the line pressure boost valve which , in turn gives low line pressure for light throttle applications.This vavle is normally off ( 0 volts ) for heavy throttle applications

Solenoid - S7

This solenoid is normally closed and is switched on ( 12 Volts ) to apply the torque convertor at speeds above 80kph dependent on the throttle position.The exact speed of the when the TCC comes on is dependant also on what series ECU is installed in the car

As previously posted, S1 and S2 control the gear selection. I was happy to read that the position of these in each gear was the same as what I had worked out, being:

1st gear: Both S1 and S2 on
2nd gear: S2 on
3rd gear: both off
4th gear: S1 on

S3 controls the application of the clutch C1, and S4 controls the front band. Both of these need to be applied in a controlled way for smooth shifting, which is done by S5 controlling the pressure delivered to them while their solenoids are open. The more current delivered to S5, the lower the line pressure. Im a little confused as to how these are used at the moment. In the manual it says the front band needs to be applied while in 2nd and 4th gears, and the C1 clutch applied in 3rd and 4th. But the table above indicates that S3 solenoid (controls C1) is on while shifting into 3rd and the S4 (controlling the forward band) is on during all shifts. Logging what the factory TCU does will tell us how to control it, but I suspect that the solenoids are used for the application of the clutch/band, which then may or may not be held in place by hydraulic pressure depending on the gear.

The remaining clutches C2, C3 and C4 and the rear band (none of which we need to control) receive line pressure regulated by the primary regulator valve. Under light throttle, the line pressure is reduced by switching on S6. Under heavy throttle, S6 is switched off, increasing the line pressure so the gearbox handles the extra torque

Finally, S7 locks the torque converter. On pre-ef 4 speeds, the lockup occurs when in 4th under "suitable driving conditions", which I read as cruise or light throttle. On EF's and onwards and when the gearbox is in economy, lockup occurs late in the 3rd gear and partially disengages for the 3rd to 4th shift. In all gearboxes, the S5 solenoid is again used to provide smooth engagement.

Oh, and reverse requires both S1 and S2 to be on. C3 is locked by hydraulic pressure to reverse the rotation of the output shaft.

I believe the ECU also expects a signal from the TCU. Looks like this signal is 12V to send ECU into LHM, 0V to report a thermistor error, or a 10,20,30 or 40Hz wave indicating the temperature of the gearbox which is used to adjust idle speed

Hope it helps

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

hey thanks for all the great info
skidder i took your advice and did the search using google i found some very good threads

at the moment im considering post poning the project till next year as ill be able to use it as my project at uni (should get me some good marks)

so for the moment progress will be slow

out of curiosity before i do go ahead has anyone done this or attempted it

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

djcustomcomputing wrote:
out of curiosity before i do go ahead has anyone done this or attempted it

I believe one of the fellas on here made a sequential controller for a EA/EB it would've had to control the auto directly, as the ECU's don't have an sequential control function.

I'm vauge on the details, names. Sorry.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Speak to DTM automatics in melb and they may be able to help you

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

[quote="djcustomcomputing"]i was hoping they were simple 0 to 12v makes my job a lot easier
i Will be incorporating variable shift hardnes by adjusting the voltage to the s5

The ECU varies the current to S5 not the voltage,increasing current decreases output pressure, decreasing current increases output pressure.

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

S5, jeez, when I wired up my EL ecu inplace of TCM, my S5 wire had shorted out somewhere along the way, which meant reduced current. Rock hard shifts(accidental shift kit) for weeks till I found out what it was :roll:

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I'll be interested cause my bro-in-laws XR8 ex HWP chaser shifts at 5,800 my Lane shifts at 4,800, his is stock except for option 20 cop stuff - i wanna shift at 5,800 too! :twisted:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:46 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
I'll be interested cause my bro-in-laws XR8 ex HWP chaser shifts at 5,800 my Lane shifts at 4,800, his is stock except for option 20 cop stuff - i wanna shift at 5,800 too! :twisted:

That's got nothing to do with any 'cop' options. Difference between an XR8 ECU and a Fairlane/Fairmont tune ECU.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]