Installing a Transmission Cooler 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Installing a Transmission Cooler
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Au Falcon with TE50 Bodykit

VIC, Australia

Hi guys

Just bought a new trans cooler for my auto and wanted to know if there was anyone out there has any idea/problems fitting them in.

Mechanic wants $200 just to fit da damn thing which i think is Bull but hey.

I dont mind fitting it as long as i know what goes where. So any help is appreciated and also wheres the best place to fit it.

Thoughts !!!!!

What do you call a holden with twin exhaust pipes?>>>>>>>> A WHEEL BARROW .....LOL

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Fit it in series with the in-radiator cooler BEFORE the pipe that goes into the cooler.

So trans oil goes:
trans - external cooler - radiator cooler - trans.

This will allow the cooler to remove excess heat when you need it and still allow the engine coolant to warm up the trans oil as fast as possible.

Mounting it in front of the radiator should be fine. Remember to top up trans oil afterward.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Strangely enough, Ford recommend installing the cooler on the outlet pipe of radiator cooler, BEFORE going back into the trans.

Yes, yes, I know that goes against your post, but it is strange that is goes outside normal installation practices, but obviously it works, as thatst how I have seen almost every cooler installed.

Bear and mind this is for a factory spec cooler.

And $200 may be ok, maybe a little steep. I have an EL, and when I put mine on, the front bumper had to come off to get to all the mounting brackets and hoses. As well as the thermo fans coming out. So if you include the say 2 hours to remove and reinstall the bumper properly, its not sooo bad.

Post subject: Re: Installing a Transmission Cooler
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

devil wrote:
Hi guys

Just bought a new trans cooler for my auto and wanted to know if there was anyone out there has any idea/problems fitting them in.

Mechanic wants $200 just to fit da damn thing which i think is Bull but hey.

I dont mind fitting it as long as i know what goes where. So any help is appreciated and also wheres the best place to fit it.

Thoughts !!!!!

what size cooler have you got - the factory one or a larger one? fyi mine was about $130 to fit IIRC.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i put mine in mt ed piece of piss except getting the hoses thru

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Strangely enough, Ford recommend installing the cooler on the outlet pipe of radiator cooler, BEFORE going back into the trans.

Yes, yes, I know that goes against your post, but it is strange that is goes outside normal installation practices, but obviously it works, as thatst how I have seen almost every cooler installed.

And $200 may be ok, maybe a little steep. I have an EL, and when I put mine on, the front bumper had to come off to get to all the mounting brackets and hoses. As well as the thermo fans coming out. So if you include the say 2 hours to remove and reinstall the bumper properly, its not sooo bad.

whs adding the trans cooler AFTER the rad cooler...

rad cool takes off excessive heat and cools down the oil enough for the external cooler to work more effectively and allow more heat to be removed from the oil

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I think why Ford mounted it like that is under extreem circumstances the engine coolant can get to 120deg. Which is too hot for the trans which should be between 95-105. But really that is unlikely to happen. If your engine is not overheating then the trans will be fine.

But trust me if you installing it to make the trans last longer its important to get the trans up to temp as quick as possible.
It can be 10-15 min before it gets to operating temp. = maximum performance, minimal losses.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
arm79 wrote:

whs adding the trans cooler AFTER the rad cooler...

rad cool takes off excessive heat and cools down the oil enough for the external cooler to work more effectively and allow more heat to be removed from the oil

Dude, that doesn't make sense. The hotter the aftermarket cooler is, the better it will work. Hence before the radiator. Also you don't want to overcool the trans, thus if it's a really cold day the radiator cooler will bring the trans oil back to engine operating temp.

Manual EL Gli.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]