Fordmods Logo

is my auto stuffed? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: is my auto stuffed?
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

so lately my auto has been shifting REALLY hard from 1 -> 2, like not just a little chirp, but a big jolt and about half a second of wheelspin, it happens almost every time i shift at more than about 3/4 throttle/over about 4500rpm. also when i back off the accel on the highway(say dropping from 110 down to 100 km/h) it will downshift and i'll get massive engine braking, and sometimes a grinding noise. the downshift/grinding has only ever happened twice so far though, the hard shifting on the other hand is happening alot.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

First things first. Check the fluid level. Also take a look at the colour while your there, if it's brown and smells burnt, good chance your auto on it's way out.

Post subject: Re: is my auto stuffed?
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

siv3r wrote:
so lately my auto has been shifting REALLY hard from 1 -> 2, like not just a little chirp, but a big jolt and about half a second of wheelspin, it happens almost every time i shift at more than about 3/4 throttle/over about 4500rpm. also when i back off the accel on the highway(say dropping from 110 down to 100 km/h) it will downshift and i'll get massive engine braking, and sometimes a grinding noise. the downshift/grinding has only ever happened twice so far though, the hard shifting on the other hand is happening alot.

check your fluid levels first,but to me it sounds like your auto needs servicing or a rebuild!! :(

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i had almost the same thing when my ef was auto. Shifted really hard...it would bang into gear, ended up being the shift solenoid, cost me about $450 to get it serviced, the new solenoid put in and they changed the pressure value on the solenoid so it shifted a little firmer.

Corey

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: cortina

QLD, Australia

The 4 speed in my EB did this for about a month, then one day, the grinding noises started, then the clutches collapsed, all over, went a rebuild

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]