Fordmods Logo

Is my current tyre setup safe?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Is my current tyre setup safe??
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Hey there, Ive got a 92 EB Fairmont with the standard factory alloys of the time, these being 15x6.5" in size. The tyres on it are 225/60/15's and I recently replaced the front two and went for the same size, so as to match the size from when I bought the car. These tyres seem fairly "fat" for the rim, and was just wondering if it is safe.......??

Comments and advice most welcome...Thanks.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

225/60/15's will be fine mate - don't worry! :P i had the same profile on my prev rims, which were 15 x 6.5's as well, and again, never had an issue :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks for that Bob.

Incidentally, I just got a wheel alignment done on it as the thing as it was a bit all over the shop at speed in corners........heaps of toe-in of all things...

Bummer that i lost the tread before it became really noticeable.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If in doubt, check with a tyre place.

Toe in/toe out is very noticable to the trained eye. The way to pick it is that the shoulders on the tyre will wear very, very quickly. Also, the shoulders will look very scrubbed and not nice and smooth. Feathering is also a very good indication that the toe in/out is off. Feathering is when teh tread blocks wear in a saw tooth fashion, so the leading endge (facing the front of the car) of the tread block is more worn than the trailing edge.

Of course feathing is also caused by understeer so if you're a hard driver and barrel into corners fast enough to understeer, it will feather the tyres.... just like mine :wink:, but this doesn't neccesarilly mean that you're alignment is out.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

it is safe but it will tram line and wear shoulders if it was me i would stick to a 205/65/15 and your steering response would become quicker aswell but if your happy with the way it steers play with your pressures id say around 34 and you should get them wearing 1/2 ok lol did get a xd ute come into work with eb fairmont rims on it with 265/50/15 lol now that looked over tyred (and kind of tuff)

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah. Another thing, tyres that are too big for the rims will 'bag'

You can feel it going round corners. You're barrel into a corner and the car will feel all loose and over the place. It kinda feels like someone has grabbed the steering wheel and is turning it from left to right a little bit.

If you're getting bagging like that though, get rid of the tyres. Nothing you can do will fix it except smaller tyres and you can actually get the rim digging into the road and then you're in all sorts of strife!!

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

i thought they were 15X7's?

225's will be fine, i've got the same on 15X7", even if your rims are 1/2" narrower, i dont really see a problem

v8fordman351, i've seen an XG with XG XR6 15X7's and 265's on the back..... looks a bit overkill, but damn it looks tuff! lol

Banned

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks dudes.

You are right about the car feeling a little sloppy, as the wider tyres probably roll a bit on cornering. The front end feels much better at the moment, following the wheel alignment and tyres are OK.... (still feel like an idiot...
I scrubbed out a decent set of fronts years ago on an old VW, and thought I'd never do it again).

I like the look of the 225's, but when its time for new ones, I reckon I'll go back down to a good set of 205's and get that more direct feel.

Thanks for all your help and comments. This website is great!!

PS. That story 'bout the 255's is dead set scary.....

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

LOL i copped it when i went to get bigger tyres put on the rears of my XR6, they are only 15's and i have a much larger size than usual.

I paid $180 per tyre but what are ya going to do. I was told, doing this as a side effect they make your speedo function inaccurately so your car is reading more on the speedo, than what it really is. :roll:

I dont give a s**t thou, my car now has a rasied look at the back so it looks kick a**!! As i have very small tyres at the front, which aids that effect also. :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

EB92 I would recommend 215/60series tyres for your 15" rims for you as I also run 15x6.5" rims and I get a perfect feel on the road with a slightly wider 215 tyre. I was going to go up to a 225 width but me local tyre place said it would bag out too much!:wink: :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
EB92 I would recommend 215/60series tyres for your 15" rims for you as I also run 15x6.5" rims and I get a perfect feel on the road with a slightly wider 215 tyre. I was going to go up to a 225 width but me local tyre place said it would bag out too much!:wink: :D

They said that to me but i told them to go a lower profile as well!!! Sort of fixed the problem. That and i have the $$$ for it so yeah. Also im not bothered about the innacurate speedo either just means i wont be getting many speeding fines. 60km/h feels like its about 50. :roll:

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:

They said that to me but i told them to go a lower profile as well!!! Sort of fixed the problem. That and i have the $$$ for it so yeah. Also im not bothered about the innacurate speedo either just means i wont be getting many speeding fines. 60km/h feels like its about 50. :roll:

What! Less profile than a 60series? Is that what you mean? I dont think you can get lower than a 60series generally on 15'rims for a Falcon. Correct me if I am wrong peoples. I only find I am doing 98.7 km when true is 100km/h with the 215/60's

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No well i managed to fit a 235/60 on my 15' rim, yes its probally stupid but who cares, as the pervious tyres were 225/60 :) if im going 100 its more like 95. :roll:

The fronts are a vey small 205/65 atm so you can imagine how nice it looks as the car is fairly low so it looks good atleast!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]