Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: It pays to shop around - pinion seal
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I got a bunch of quotes on a diff pinion seal for my AU, and just had to share my experience. Prices from independent parts places here in NZ ranged from $8.49 to $32.78 (that's about $6.50 to $25 in AUD). From three Ford dealers, I was quoted $59.80, $140.30 and $162.80 (that's $46, $108 and $125 AUD)! :shock:

If there is someone selling it for $8.49, they can't be paying more than $6.50 for it. Considering that Ford doesn't actually make this part, they are probably buying it from the same suppliers as everyone else - and getting a better volume discount. Let's see - cost: $6, selling price: $162, markup: 2600%! That's beyond rip-off and well into burglary territory. :evil:

I ended up buying a top-of-the-line Viton seal (lasts almost forever) from Allied Bearing in Cairns for A$10.50 plus $12 postage - less than NZ$30 all up - and far superior to the part Ford is selling. A happy ending. 8-)

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: It pays to shop around - pinion seal
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:46 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

My pinion seal is leaky and just picked one up from REPCO for $8.

I was just wondering is it a difficult job replacing it, I know I have to drop the tailshaft which shouldnt be a problem, but is getting the rest of the hardware off of the pinion a drama?

Cheers

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

It can be a mission. I couldn't be bothered, so I got my neighbour (a Ford mechanic) to do it at work with the hoist and all the right tools. Cost me $40 and no hassle whatsoever :D

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Lukieman wrote:
My pinion seal is leaky and just picked one up from REPCO for $8.
I was just wondering is it a difficult job replacing it, I know I have to drop the tailshaft which shouldnt be a problem, but is getting the rest of the hardware off of the pinion a drama?
Nah
, fairly simple job - mark the tailshaft and diff flange, and also mark the pinion nut to pinion shaft. That ensures you do the nut back up to the same position - there is a preload spacer on the pinion bearings.
Also get some 10mm clear plastic hose from bunnings, and a funnel to gravity fill up the oil - so much easier.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]