Fordmods Logo

Kings Low springs 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Kings Low springs
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Hey guys.

Alright. I have the car that i want, (ED), and am ready to do some mods. The stereo is finished, and i would like to get some new wheels. anyway, before i get the new wheels, i want to lower the car a bit so it doesn't look like a tractor. So, I have noticed the rear of the car is highere than the front. I want to lower the rear of the car to suit the front, but i am not sure which springs to get. I was thinking kings lows, just to level it out. The suspension is totally standard, but with brand new shocks. I am happy to do the rear springs myself as well. So, will kings lows be enough to level it out?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

i have got king lows on mine. the rear sits slightly lower than the front though. i think there are some pics in my gallery

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yep King Lows here (but pics in gallery are old so ignore them).

I'm very happy with how the back sits now. Considering how high it was before!
The front wasn't as big of a drop, but overall the car sits pretty level.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

yep same as everyone says, i got king lows, front wasnt a great drop but rear drops enough so it now sits a bit lower than the front. i like the way it sits now

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

If the rear is too low with new springs, honestly the cheapest thing to do is take out the spare if you can justify doing that.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I know king Springs get a good rap, but as far as I know they're single rate.

If it were my car, I'd get some variable rate springs. Something like 150lbs - 350lbs might work ok.

Also, you'll find that you'll need new shocks again since when you shorten springs, you also need to shorten shocks.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Superpro make 10mm spacers which make King Low rear springs sit absolutely perfect - ie. full tank + 1 person = level or perhaps tiny bit a*** high; Empty tank and the rear is noticeably high but not by any means a large amount; and full tank +heavy load will see the rear sitting slightly low but not a*** dragging (not on the stops).

The spacers are made of the same plastic/rubbery material that's used to make bushes and they push onto/over the tubular part in the top of the rear wheelwell that the top of the spring (with rubber insulator) is positioned on / over.

For Superpro bits go to the Superpro site and locate the part number then go to the Whiteline Online Shop to get prices / purchase.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Superpro make 10mm spacers which make King Low rear springs sit absolutely perfect - ie. full tank + 1 person = level or perhaps tiny bit a*** high; Empty tank and the rear is noticeably high but not by any means a large amount; and full tank +heavy load will see the rear sitting slightly low but not a*** dragging (not on the stops).

The spacers are made of the same plastic/rubbery material that's used to make bushes and they push onto/over the tubular part in the top of the rear wheelwell that the top of the spring (with rubber insulator) is positioned on / over.

For Superpro bits go to the Superpro site and locate the part number then go to the Whiteline Online Shop to get prices / purchase.
yep i used these on my eb when i fitted lows to the rear coz of the gas tank it went too far from memory they came in 3,5 & 10 mm worked a treat easy to fit

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
I know king Springs get a good rap, but as far as I know they're single rate.

If it were my car, I'd get some variable rate springs. Something like 150lbs - 350lbs might work ok.

Also, you'll find that you'll need new shocks again since when you shorten springs, you also need to shorten shocks.
ive got to ask do you work in the suspesion game you allways seem to be saying to get variable rate springs ect of commented before most of these guys are just young blokes that want to make their car a bit lower and cost is a major issue i agree with what you say but how many peoples street cars run around with coil overs and adjustable platforms ect and take their cars in and pay to get the corner weights sorted out ect also kings come mainly in progessive rate not trying to be smart but its all horses for courses

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You gotta be careful what shocks you use with variable rate springs too - I've found first hand that Bilsteins interact badly with King variable rate springs because of the variable valving in the shocks (with single rate springs they're GREAT).

I think variable rate springs would go well with KYB - don't know about Koni.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

v8fordman351 wrote:
ive got to ask do you work in the suspesion game you allways seem to be saying to get variable rate springs ect of commented before most of these guys are just young blokes that want to make their car a bit lower and cost is a major issue i agree with what you say but how many peoples street cars run around with coil overs and adjustable platforms ect and take their cars in and pay to get the corner weights sorted out ect also kings come mainly in progessive rate not trying to be smart but its all horses for courses

Nope. I don't work for a suspension place. I have a car with lowered suspension and had all sorts of trouble with it. In trying to fix the problems, I learnt a lot about suspension.

I also have a friend who's in thick with some of the V8 Supercars, and his father used to race cars. He's the main person I learnt most of my knowledge from.

It's really not much extra to get variable rate. You might have to get them custom made, but you can get them done at the right price if you hunt around. Also, you don't need to go coil over to go variable rate if you're only lowering a small amount.

I've just looked @ King Spring's website and it looks like only their pro sport/competition coils are progressive rate.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Your correct they are a single rate spring and progressive rate springs are better for a stock car but if your going to go into big suspention stuff like adjustable swaybars and adjustable shocks progressive are to hard to finally tune so single rate are better.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
I've just looked @ King Spring's website and it looks like only their pro sport/competition coils are progressive rate.

Really they got new springs out whats the site?

Post subject: Re: Kings Low springs
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

GazzaED wrote:
So, I have noticed the rear of the car is highere than the front.

This prevents under steer. It is called rake and it would be wise to keep some if handling is one of your priorities.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm interesting i might have to have a little look at these tomorrow and get a quote price wise.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next