Fordmods Logo

Knock when taking off from lights and gearing down. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Knock when taking off from lights and gearing down.
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hmm how is mine normal when the others dont have it? are all the others not normal then lol?

My car probably going up on the hoist on saturday I might ask them to check my diff for movement

Edit - just randomly saw on another forum that the BF's have this cover due to the larger centre diff bush - perhaps so they dont go as easily??

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Yeah i checked mine too and it doesnt seem to be moving much, maybe a centimeter if its lucky. (Got a mate to sit there and chuck it in and out of D and R) So i reckon on my car its one of the other bushes or the bolts on the shock absorbers, as they can sometimes loosen. Whatever it is its got me driving like an old lady.

toohey_08 wrote:
the best way to check if i need to replace diff bushes is to get a pry bar, wedge it in towards the bottom of the diff and move it up and down.

Yeah my diff bloke said the same thing. Only problem is i don't have access to a hoist :(.

phil545 wrote:
Edit - just randomly saw on another forum that the BF's have this cover due to the larger centre diff bush - perhaps so they dont go as easily??

That video i showed was of a 2007 BF Mk II Turbo so i doubt they have improved it....... much, think of the money they would make off changing these bushes? The diff bloke i spoke to said he refuses to fit the genuine ford bushes as they are s**t. Usually its the XR6 Turbo's that have this problem though. But once ive figured out the problem and got it fixed i'll post it up :).

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:39 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

It was the rear Diff bush incase anyone was wondering. The rear one was completely stuffed and i had them replace both front diff bushes while they were at it, the rear centre one was replaced with a nolothane bush and the rest were genuine ford. The nolothane bush is alot harder though so you feel the gear changes alot more. There is one avialable from superpro thats half way between the nolothane and the factory one though.

BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the info mate, i had my car up on the hoist last friday so i got the guys to check my diff, lets just say there was a lot of movement in it!! probably could rock it around about 5-10cm in either direction, will be getting that fixed up next service. I am going to get my transmission shifts firmed up so i duno what bush i should replace it with, genuine, nolothan or a superpro one. hmmmm

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

No worries mate always good to contribute to the cause!!! :). Yeah I have a chip and they firmed up the shifts alot when they done it, with the standard bush it was pretty good. But since having the nolothane bush fitted i reckon its a bit over the top. Im going to get them to dyno tune it and tone down the shifts aye. I mean i like a firm shift but this is more than just firm. If the superpro one works as advertised it might be worth getting one of them.

Either way, if you go for nolothane or superpro i would get the bush done first, see how it feels on the changes and then get the shifts changed after that. But keep in mind if you firm up the shifts on the standard bush then it will wear out even quicker than it already has on the stock shifts.

Hope this helps,

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks mate - that does help!! i want it firm up the shifts so i can get going a bit quicker by changing gears faster, i think i will either go the genuine ford or the superpro (will look into it more). the car is just coming up to 100k but the clunk has been around for ages, i just never worried about it.

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2