Fordmods Logo

Knocking in rear shocks 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Knocking in rear shocks
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

The other day i replaced my 'lows' with superlows for one day but it made a really loud knocking noise. It sorta sounded like the shocks were f**k and it was bottoming out (which it wasn't).
I have not very old Monroe GT gas shocks which although a lot of you say not to use these with superlows i have had no problems with this combination before.
I put my lows back in the next day and the noise stopped and was fine but now the noise is back. Not quite as bad but enough to annoy the hell outa me. I have no idea what it is and a few suspension places are unsure as well.

Any ideas.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

I've got the exact same problem with the lows in the rear of my ED. I'm currently using standard height shockers with modified bump stops. The springs are seated properly but the noise is there and it's really starting to piss me off. So yeah, If anyone can shed some light on the problem that both fordnutzz and myself are having with the rear suspension then that would be great.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Check the bolts, you gotta tighten them up again once you've started driving again. If they're all tight and she still makes noises, I'd suspect dead shocks.

Is it both sides? Test this by raising and lowering the car with your hands at the wheel arch and see if you can hear the knock.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

With me it's only on the left. When you raise and lower the car with your hands the noise isn't there. Tomorrow I'll check all the bolts again just to be sure.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

My problem was similar when i fitted new shocks on the rear, turned out the drivers side bottom shockie bolt needed more tightening....

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I reckon if it's anything at all it will be the bolt on the bottom shockers needs tightening up a bit more so I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

sounds strange, but check the wheel nuts

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thats the first thing I did....All nice and tight.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Check upper and lower control arm bushes. Its sitting lower now meaning a different position for the bushes that may be knocking not from up and down but when diff pulls forward or back.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
Check upper and lower control arm bushes. Its sitting lower now meaning a different position for the bushes that may be knocking not from up and down but when diff pulls forward or back.

Thats some good advice.....I'll check it all tomorrow. I know all of the rear bushes were replaced at the start of the year prior to me buying it but I'll check them out and tighten if required.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Check the bolts, you gotta tighten them up again once you've started driving again. If they're all tight and she still makes noises, I'd suspect dead shocks.

Is it both sides? Test this by raising and lowering the car with your hands at the wheel arch and see if you can hear the knock.

It was just the righthand side. I had replaced the bushes not long ago but i checked all the bolts last night and did them all up extra tight and it seems you were right about re-doing them after driving it. I have changed a lot of shocks in EF/EL's before and never had to do this but it seems to have solved my problem. For now anyway.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

i also have that problem on the left side at low speed turnign left rattle knocking noise suspect its some lose bolts gonna put it up on the hoist and hopefully its a simple fix only happened after installing a new diff

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:00 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The lower shock bolts have to be really tight, its pretty common for them to not be done up tight enough after they've been out, and they will knock.
Reef them up with a breaker bar, with the car at normal ride height.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

still havnt found the coulpret guessing it coudl be the diff possobly needs a friction modifiyer maybe the diff oil is to thin its fresh oil but i think there known to make some noise without the right oil damn lsd's neva had an issue with a single but i guess no wher near the fun of an lsd

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]