Knocking with Superlows 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Knocking with Superlows
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Put my Superlows on the other day, and now on take off at low rpm, like 500rpm or so when the car shakes a bit, there's a few clunks in the back end. I'm 99% sure its on the drivers side, which leads me to believe the exhaust is hitting the diff.

Anything I can do to fix it, or even test if this is the cause?
Can I lift the exhaust by myself?

I'm heading to Powercruise, and will have 3 passengers in the car, plus the normal stereo gear which weighs a fair bit, so it'd be better if I could fix the problem before I drive 4 odd hours with a full car load.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Mate, it is possibly the tailshaft hitting the floorpan, a few guys i know with Superlows have tailshaft's hitting the floorpan causing loud clunks

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

may seem a bit strange, but check the wheel nuts

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I searched on the forum just before, and a lot of suggestions were that the shockie bottom bolt is not as tight as it should be.

The noise isnt like a loud bang/knock, its more like a creak. Like when it happens you dont just hear a clunk, theres a bit more noise after that.

Also it doesnt vibrate the car at all, so I'm pretty sure its not the diff hitting the body.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Did you reset the trailing arm bushes for the lowered height? Also the bushes may have to be replaced but its cheaper to replace the entire trailing arms, its more than likely the upper trailing arms that are clunking.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: v6 anniversary accord

NSW, Australia

could be zorst on floor..i had that drama with superlows on a car i had.

'WALKER f**k MY WIFE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS s**t SIGGIE'

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

iam death wrote:
could be zorst on floor..i had that drama with superlows on a car i had.

If that was the case it would have been happening prior to lowering.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How do you reset the trailing arms? I think it was mentioned in another thread you just take the off then put them back on?

Its not the zorst on the floor, cud be zorst on diff, but I cant get it hit it by pushing it around, will have to get teh fellas coming to Powercruise to sit in the back and see if it is the zorst.

Well I'm gunna go tighten up all the bolts now and see if theres any marks anywhere from hitting.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah the easiest way is if you have ramps back car up onto them and loosen trailing arm bolts and re-tighten them at ride height. This will allow the bush to twist into correct position.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well I fixed the knocking problem.

Make sure you tighten all bolts 3 times. And then after you take it for a drive, tighten them again.

I'll reset the trailing arms when I get back from Powercruise, dont have anytime to do anything other than a wash tomorrow arvo.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Well I fixed the knocking problem.

Make sure you tighten all bolts 3 times. And then after you take it for a drive, tighten them again.

I'll reset the trailing arms when I get back from Powercruise, dont have anytime to do anything other than a wash tomorrow arvo.
hi can any 1 show me what"s trailing arms look alike thanx.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:52 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

oh on the topic of clunking noises...when hard under accelerating from 1st to 2nd in an auto, from time to time (mainly with full car load) i would hear a clunk sound. Now i have searched and people say they also get that, but theres mixxed answers, do you's think this is related to the suspension components such as trailing arms or just bushes around the diff etc. Or what do you think?

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:56 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

oh and its not stock suspension, the cars got king spring superlows, ultima shorten shocks all round, kmac camber kit (not really related), that home made shiftkit which has to do with the transmission obviously. Bushes don't know if they have been changed, cars done just over 200k. thanks.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

pauly_el_01 wrote:
oh on the topic of clunking noises...when hard under accelerating from 1st to 2nd in an auto, from time to time (mainly with full car load) i would hear a clunk sound. Now i have searched and people say they also get that, but theres mixxed answers, do you's think this is related to the suspension components such as trailing arms or just bushes around the diff etc. Or what do you think?

Check for scuff marks on the rear of the driveshaft. Its more than likely to be the diff pulling up under hard excelleration and allowing the rear of the driveshaft to hit the floor.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i didnt see any marks on the driveshaft and.. driveshaft hitting the floor looks close to being impossible as there is a fair distance to the ground. As you know on ef/el's and prob all e series is that the centre muffler is closest to the ground and looks to me the driveshaft is way clear off the ground.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next