Fordmods Logo

Koni & Bilstein that much better than BOGE or ULtima??? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Koni & Bilstein that much better than BOGE or ULtima???
10% better 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
20% better 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
30% better 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
40% better 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
50% better 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
60% better 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
70% better 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
80% better 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
90% better 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
100% better 47%  47%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 30

Post subject: Re: Koni & Bilstein that much better than BOGE or ULtima???
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

ralfnada wrote:
Hi guys, How do you post wellmeaning advice in a forum without sounding like a smart a*** or a know all ? Every set up we do is a compromise, nothing is perfect.
The first question we ask is " are we comparing apples with apples'" . Oil filled shocks in my opinion should never have been foisted on an unsuspecting public! Progress has led us to the gas pressurised shock absorber ( albeit still filled with oil) .The two types cannot be considered in the same sentence IMO. U get what u pay for..
Even the worst gas shocker is streets ahead of the best oil filled brand.
Sorry fellas, after the oil in a standard shock gains a certain temperature (after about 20 ks travel) it takes on the characteristics of a Bicycle Pump !
A shock absorber is meant to control the kinetic energy released by the springs following their constant compression and rebound forced on them by the conditions.
Lest some posters take umbrage with the above statememts U can PM me if any further help is required. I have NO vested interest in the motor industry, I do have all the answers, but no one asks the questions !

Ahh! - ok - just re read the first post and got the context of oil / oil type reference - Du-OH! (facepalm) And yes, I agree.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

got an eb xr 8 brought it with pedders crap all round promptly got rid of that and brought king springs super low and lowered kyb shocks all round "low is 25mm superlow is 5omm" ,I too owned and still own a rx7 s1 ,so when I say the handleing of my eb is exellent it is the ride is a bit harsh at low speeds but it steers where you want it to go, doubling the posted speed limit on corners and still wanting more has to say something for the set up,also if some moron says use a lower spring at the rear tell them to f..k off ,I am running 225 50 16 on the front 245 50 16 on the rear and the car sits level,if I used the same size all round the rear would sit lower and that is f.....g stupid,I was a wheel aligner so I know a bit

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I installed Bilstein shock's all round with low springs and wow what a difference.........

Even normal driving is so much better compared to KYB and Boge, and around coner's is just awesome and i have not even went hard.........

All i can say is save your money and buy Bilstein if u intend to keep the car for more than 2 yrs and do at least 15,000kms a year...

Only issue i have is the front dont have the bracket to hold ABS line which isent a huge issue but apparently Koni do, so why cant Bilstein???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

What price are we looking at for a full set of bilstein shocks roughly?
im in desperate need of shocks for my ef mont.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

$1000 for a full set of bilstein shocks ea-el

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

RRP is around the $1200.00 mark but as ef_falcon_95 said u should get them for $1000.00

I got mine for $980.00 installed, got them at trade price and my mate fitted them up at mates rates....

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:19 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

wow i was expecting like 600-700 for set but 1k thats a fair bit haha
worth as much as some of the models they are for,
think i might go for cheaper ones cos im a poor a** 1st year sparkie :'(

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Justin-A wrote:

U can get Koni red's if u shop around for your budget

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Justin-A wrote:

Contact Fulcrum and ask the question - you might be surprised. From memory my Bilsteins were about $220 each front and $170 each rear - and that was over ten years ago. The price quoted by the actual Bilstein distributors was MUCH higher!! - call Fulcrum...

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I can say the Bilstein shocks i have are 100% better than KYB and BOGE of used before, worth the money if your going to keep the car for at least 2 years....

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Your summary of shocks really isn't that helpful to someone using sl/ssl springs. Ur just comparing those shocks to pretty much standard height springs, now seriously not many people are going to spend hundreds of dollars on shocks if there only using standard height springs , these shocks are good with low springs but could be s**t with sl / ssl

I have KONI yellow front/red rear with SSL Kings and the ride is very good. Koni reckon their shocks are not compromised by spring height, high or low. Everyone say's Bilstein's are the sheet but I didn't even look at buying them thinking they were 2k or something, but they are the same $$ as the Koni's apparently..

she dream't she was a bulldozer, she dream't she was alone in a field

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

tapeworm wrote:
Your summary of shocks really isn't that helpful to someone using sl/ssl springs. Ur just comparing those shocks to pretty much standard height springs, now seriously not many people are going to spend hundreds of dollars on shocks if there only using standard height springs , these shocks are good with low springs but could be s**t with sl / ssl

I have KONI yellow front/red rear with SSL Kings and the ride is very good. Koni reckon their shocks are not compromised by spring height, high or low. Everyone say's Bilstein's are the sheet but I didn't even look at buying them thinking they were 2k or something, but they are the same $$ as the Koni's apparently..

+1. I have Koni Reds, making a move to XYZ Coilovers soon.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tapeworm wrote:

Tis thread is about shock's in general and not spring height...

Again I'm using a low spring and my Bilstein shock can be used for both standard and low spring, if going lower then u just get a short body... Also when going lower the ride gets stiffer so common sence comes into play...

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

So.... the Bilsteins MIGHT be no good with SL or SSL springs?? O-kayyy - how about this?: WHEN someone's TRIED Bilsteins with SL or SSL, they can tell us all what the FACTS are about the situation... (action talks - Bulls***t walks).

And for my own a** talking $0.02 worth, I don't see why Bilsteins should be any less excellent with SL or SSL than they are with higher springs - or indeed why Konis would be any less s**t.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

So it looks like Blistein are the best when it comes to comfort, I've got a EL Fairmont Ghia I'm replacing the OEM springs and shocks on soon, going down to factory 15" wheel from the 17" Tickford copies on it at the moment, standard height springs going to be going in.

Is it worth going Blistein? I'm after 100% ride comfort.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next