Koni Reds or Yellows? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Koni Reds or Yellows?
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I am having a bit of trouble deciding on Koni reds or yellows
atm there is about $380 bucks difference between going full reds/yellows. Which in the end I suppose isn’t that much only $100 a shock.

btw i havent really screwed them down on prices yet so this may change...

I am not going to be doing any track work or anything, maybe the occasional drag run.

And I have read at a couple of places that the reds are better shocks because they are gas not oil (excluding the fact that the yellows can be externally adjusted).

Any opinions and either of the shocks? :?

oh this is for an EL fairmont and king lows. :P

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

G'day Mako,
Two days ago I got koni reds on the rear. These are excellent shock absorbers, and they can be adjusted to your liking. I highly recommend them.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

I was also reccomended to buy the Red's. Unless you take it to a racetrack where you can tune them properly you are unlikely to get a better setup in regards to performance with the yellows. Plus the reds have more travel I was told.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

hmm very interesting... and i was all ready to buy the yellows :(

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

i got the reds cos i couldn't justify spending that much for the yellows. they put the yellows on ferrari's and porsches at the factory, and my car doesn't resemble either of those and nor does it perform like the two mentioned.

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

we sell a few sets at work imo go reds and leave on softest setting and you will be blown away how good they are everyone is i just wish i wasnt so poor or both my cars would have them

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Firstly, call up a place called Top Performance. They're in Trade Place, Vermont.

They're the guys that import the Konis and anyone else you go to gets them from Top Performance, so they should give you the best price. I've had dealings with them (dyno-ing my shocks and rating my springs) and they've never charged me a cent for their services.

The reds are a gas/oil shock and are what's knows as off-car adjustable. That is, you have to take them off the car to adjust them.

The yellows are gas/oil and are on-car adjustable. You can adjust damper rates without taking the shocks off the car.

Don't leave them on the softest setting. Shock rates should compliment the spring rates. Stiffer spring, stiffer shock. Simple! if you leave them too soft, you'll get a 'wallowing' sensation when you drive.

Basically, the suspension doesn't 'reset' quickly enough when the suspension works, so as the springs uncompress after you've gone over a bump, the springs extend to more than static height. Then the weight of the car compresses the springs too much, then the springs uncompress too much etc etc untill the suspensipons settles down. This will result in a uncomfortable sensation and also lead to the tyres not making proper contact with the road. This also increases braking distances. It's easy to see if they're adjusted properly. Push down on the car to get the suspension moving a lot. Do it a few times so you get a fair bit of suspension travel going. When you stop, the suspension should lift the car and stop at static height without overshooting. If it keeps bouncing a bit, they're too soft.

With Konis, you can only adjust the rebound, not the bounce.

Go yellows if you can afford them.

Edit: If you do go to Top Performance and you want to say someone reccomended them to you, tell them that the guy down the road with the black TR7 V8 told you to go to them. Everyone in the street knows the car, and some even hate it, so they'll know who you're talking about. I doubt it will get you a better price as I don't know them all that well, but they give fantastic service!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]