Fordmods Logo

Leaking driveshaft seal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Leaking driveshaft seal
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

The Auto in my EF falcon has leaking driveshaft seal.

The seal itself looks easy to repace, but I've been told that I should replace the bush in the rear housing of the transmisson as well.

What is invovled in replacing the bush - Can I get the rear housing off with the tranmission still in the car???

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

basically jack car up...
remove the 4 bolts on the uni joint and mark it so it gos back on the same was as it came off ( liquid paper is a good aid )
the take the drive shaft out
the seal shoudl come out with some force... and replace with new seal carefull nto to damage it a socket the same size can be used to "tap" the seal back in
then re install the drive shaft
easy as!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Be sure to buy the V8 Bush they are much stronger and suit the 6cyl trans also, I believe they are made of bronze.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

its the extension housing seal, i wouldnt bother with the internal bush. when removing the drive shaft make sure it is aligned the same as when removed to keep a system balance. there will be a yellow dot on both ends of the shaft. copy the dots onto the diff flange and the transmission spline (not the extension housing) the 4 bolts on the rear flange will be tight and you will need an 18mm ring and i thing the other is a 15mm.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

u dont need to mark it the drive shaft doesnt have a master spline...just put it on any old how it fits...put the car in N so you can turn the gearbox and you are fine...pfft i did mine months ago n i put it in so it fitted, not to match any marks...

Andrew

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sorry ndroo but im a quality officer for the company that makes the shafts for ford. The dots represent the lighter side of the shaft after balancing, transmissions and diffs are not perfectly balanced so to improve the system balance the dots are lined up with markings on the trans and diff. with the BA its the same princible but the driveline is further balanced at ford. Just one of the advancments of the BA series, it also goes for the territory.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:59 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

mmm...well...the difference isnt enough for me to worry about lol...maybe it'd be a problem at really high speeds but it seems to be able to withstand it fine without any vibrations.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

joolz wrote:
Sorry ndroo but im a quality officer for the company that makes the shafts for ford. The dots represent the lighter side of the shaft after balancing, transmissions and diffs are not perfectly balanced so to improve the system balance the dots are lined up with markings on the trans and diff. with the BA its the same princible but the driveline is further balanced at ford. Just one of the advancments of the BA series, it also goes for the territory.

ok so all thing being balanced can you explain to us how a ballanced shaft can have a 'lighter side' it doesn't make any sence at all, if it has a lighter side it would not be balanced and you people are not doing a good enough job.

the other thing is that if you make the shaft straight in the first place they don't need to be balanced with wieghts.
We all know that these wiegh you people insist on using fall off al the time and the shaft in questoin in this thread is probably out of balance now anyway so the dot don't matter.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
joolz wrote:

ok so all thing being balanced can you explain to us how a ballanced shaft can have a 'lighter side' it doesn't make any sence at all, if it has a lighter side it would not be balanced and you people are not doing a good enough job.

the other thing is that if you make the shaft straight in the first place they don't need to be balanced with wieghts.

dude carefull abotu the way u go abotu spoeakign to ppl
hell what abotu your rims/tyres.. as you say if the ppl making them are doing there job they should not need to be balanced... go tell every single rim/tyre manufacture that they are not doign there jobs you will be laughed at!

basically the ligheter side is only by a few grams and is caused by the way it is cast ( as far as i am aware ) just becoause the shaft is straight dotn mean in perfetcally balanced. a little bit more material on one spot than the other and it out of balance.

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks disco frank you exlpained it well, because the shafts are mas produced we have a min spec set by ford. it would be impossible to get a shaft "perfectly" balanced as we would spend atleast 10min a shaft, the limit we have now is 4min max. Even the engine cranks are balanced!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:52 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

surly tho a more 'quality' product wouldnt need to be balanced. They say its expensive to produce them to such high standards, higher than standard..but thats only so because its not 'standard' to produce them like that standard...if we have learnt anything its all things mass produced are cheap...and just because they are mass produced doesnt mean they are not quality. Standards of today are the above standards of yesterday...

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

up to about 4 years ago 1 piece shafts were never straightened only balanced, but as the cars internally got quieter the outside had to be made quieter. so the 2 peice shaft was introduced. shorter lengths of tube meaning less if no flex resulting in vitually no vibration and noise. the current alloy shafts are straightened so dont stress ppl if you have a BA ute or wagon!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]